• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Red Romeo 1 info

Bronzefunk

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Wes-syde, Cali
I found this pic on the inter-webs and I have never seen an X Metal in this shade before.
I know X-man and Dr Chop and IH do customizations but Im asking if anyone knows specifically who did this piece in Red or who does this work specifically.
Im looking to get a cost estimate for getting an XS into a very similar look

Is is painted?
or is it anodized?
or is it Cerakoted?
or is it something else?
or is it possibly a fake? (looks legit to me)

[Useful info/insight is greatly appreciated but if you don't have anything useful to add please just move along.]

Thanks

Romeo-RED.jpg

Regarding that R1, it looks pearlescent candy red. Definitely not anodized and i'm not sure cerakote have something that fancy. It's a definite paint job of some sort.

Regarding that R1, it looks pearlescent candy red. Definitely not anodized and i'm not sure cerakote have something that fancy. It's a definite paint job of some sort.

I see, interesting cuz I'm definitely looking for something 'candy red-ish' and flashy, I haven't seen that look in other custom XM frames, with the exception of some anodized pairs. but this clearly looks different from anodizing.
Can you tell me; I assume paint is less robust than Cerakote? and will be more easily prone to deterioration?

It depends on the paint used. Cerakote, durakote, single/multi stage, powder coat, they're all paint systems relying on physical bonding to the substrate. The money is in the quality of prep and the system used. Eg $5 spray can won't last the day. Likewise an amateur doing cerakote can deliver crappy results. I'm not a paint guy, so I'll leave it to master painters to chime in

I see, interesting cuz I'm definitely looking for something 'candy red-ish' and flashy, I haven't seen that look in other custom XM frames, with the exception of some anodized pairs. but this clearly looks different from anodizing.
Can you tell me; I assume paint is less robust than Cerakote? and will be more easily prone to deterioration?

Titanium won't anodize red by the way. It'll go pink but that about as close to red as it will go.

for arguments sake check this out
Does this look anodized? to my non-expert eye it does
Its definitely red.
Of course that doesn't mean its necessarily Titanium but the parts don't look like obvious fakes.
its true though that I almost never see Red Juliets unless its paint or cerakote which is why I saved these pics, so unique looking

20150604_072819.jpg
20150604_073037.jpg
20150604_114435.jpg
20150619_092818.jpg
20150619_092837.jpg

Back