• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting lenses by hand (a guide)

Based on the Information provided by thrusted Members:

View attachment 660081
That list has many errors.

I cut some Field Jacket Photochromic lenses a while back for a Monster Dog and while they’re big enough the base curve difference is noticeable. At least for me it was. They’re also a pain in the ass to make them fit right. I sent them to @"TRUMP" to use or toss lol.

If you're messing with lenses and need to know base curve, a lens clock is an essential tool. $40 on Amazon.

71QRGZq-yHL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:
I cut some Field Jacket Photochromic lenses a while back for a Monster Dog and while they’re big enough the base curve difference is noticeable. At least for me it was. They’re also a pain in the ass to make them fit right. I sent them to @"TRUMP" to use or toss lol.
Then why is the list still up and not corrected?
I would rather have no info than bad.

I don't have to measure now. But it was more like 7.25 toric/ellipsoid... Like a double edge lens.

They're definitely a Toric lens. I believe someone mentioned them as a 8.0?

edit: I have them in my notebook as the following;

*Field Jacket ~ Width: 64mm | Height: 47mm | Base Curve Toric 8 Ellipsoid

I have them asterixed since I haven't cut one myself, nor have a found anyone who has an stated the BC of them. But @Norcal91707 is correct on conflicting info out online I've seen them mentioned at 8/8.75. On the forum I've seen a numerical value but it's been said to be toric.

Usually I can fit a custom cut toric lens into a MD but the one J sent me I literally couldnt even get mounted in the orbital because the curve was so far off, based on that I always thought it was flat like a frogskin or holbrook lens...

Latest Posts

Back