• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Different or fake Prizm Black Polarized?

dgreener

Oakley Beginner
I recently purchased a pair of satin black fuel cells with PBP lens from a dealer so I know they are legit. Then I purchased a pair of Jupiter Squared with the same lens from ebay and the two lenses are slightly different. Quality seems the same but tint is different as well as jupiter frame seems lower quality than expected.

The Fuel Cell version is more Prizm'y meaning a little tint of brown/pink/VR while the Jupiters are more straight gray. Also the Fuel Cell polarization seems to block about more light when flipped to perpendicular and viewing a polarized TV.

They look identical on the outside and the prizm emboss is identical. There is very little to any distortion so neither lens seems cheap/fake. My only other clue is where the temples meet the frame on the Jupiters, there is a bit of a gap and they still have press lines all around the frame like a pair of cheapo glasses.

Any way to tell if they are fake? Will post a few pics to help.
Thanks in advance!

20180529_165824.jpg

20180529_165844.jpg

20180529_165944.jpg

20180529_170150.jpg

20180529_170246.jpg

It's the SKU that matches the frame and lens as specified OO9135-2956.

I'm really looking to find out if anyone has ever seen or heard of Oakley selling the same lens with two different tints because that's what's going on here.

Can you take better pics of the prizm etching on each lense?

I appreciate the thoughts about looking into the eBay seller and the etchings but I can assure you that they are perfect and identical to the legitimate pairs I have purchase from authorized dealers and the only real way to settle this is if somebody actually knows whether it's possible there is some inconsistency in their lens tints.

I had actually bought another pair of Jupiter squared which supposedly had Prizm black polarized lenses and I knew in 5 seconds they were fake because of the color and Distortion in the lens. These look perfect and I would not say there was anything wrong with them except I have the same lens in another model and the tint is different.

I will probably go to the Oakley store in Toronto tomorrow with both pairs and see if they can tell me definitively whether these are legit. The frame itself seems a little wonky so that gives me some pause as well.

I appreciate the thoughts about looking into the eBay seller and the etchings but I can assure you that they are perfect and identical to the legitimate pairs I have purchase from authorized dealers and the only real way to settle this is if somebody actually knows whether it's possible there is some inconsistency in their lens tints.

I had actually bought another pair of Jupiter squared which supposedly had Prizm black polarized lenses and I knew in 5 seconds they were fake because of the color and Distortion in the lens. These look perfect and I would not say there was anything wrong with them except I have the same lens in another model and the tint is different.

I will probably go to the Oakley store in Toronto tomorrow with both pairs and see if they can tell me definitively whether these are legit. The frame itself seems a little wonky so that gives me some pause as well.

It's possible for lenses to look a little different from the outside....particularly with colored lenses....due to the baking process. But all mine look the same when looking through them. I would just return to the ebay seller.

Going into the store probably isnt the best idea. Most oakley employees now a days are just $10 per hour workers and usually just give an answer to seem like they know what they're talking about but almost never do.

The seller is pure_liquidation. They are in Toronto and I have actually been to the guy's house to look at several pairs in person. I have been buying Oakleys since the early 1990s including from the Oakley Factory sales and these all seem a hundred percent legit until this pair which is just hard to tell.

Back