• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Donor Lenses for Mars

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
So I want to get a custom cut for my Mars, I've seen the donor table and according to it, Big Tacos should have a great fit. I was able to get a set at a cheap price, but after having talked to chrisahardaway he told me BT's won't be good for a Mars.
Has anyone tried with the BT before? I know Plantiff should be the way to go, but I couldn't find those lenses anywhere. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I think my Mars cuts were done from BTs but I don't really recall for certain. The guy who cut them used a machine (as opposed to hand cut) but he's no longer in the business.
Hey Kronin, thanks for the answer. The big question here is that Randy feels the BT's aren't large enough for the Mars, they might end up with flat spots, and the cut lens might leave a small gap on the top or bottom.
I'm wondering if it be easier to get a trade for plantiff lenses going, rather than risking the BT lens not fitting

I had an idea to cut big tacos to OTT. When I compared the lenses it turned out that tacos are just a little but too short on the height to fit OTT lens. Despite the small flatness they just might work if cut precisely. I believe that @#1 Stunna! Has got a pair of violet tacos trimmed to OTT.

After that long and seem to be off top intro I say that Mars lenses are way smaller than OTT and therefore they should be an easy cut out of big taco donor. I haven't got any tacos nowadays but maybe somebody could take a pic of taco on a Mars... @X-Metal Beast ?

Hey Kronin, thanks for the answer. The big question here is that Randy feels the BT's aren't large enough for the Mars, they might end up with flat spots, and the cut lens might leave a small gap on the top or bottom.
I'm wondering if it be easier to get a trade for plantiff lenses going, rather than risking the BT lens not fitting

He told me the same thing, so I hold off sending the BT lenses for Mars cut. I got Crosshair lenses but I seen him posting somewhere that he never tried that yet. He said Plaintiff lenses are guaranteed to be big enough.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm looking at my R1 lenses vs my Mars while mounted (don't want to risk breaking the clips either) and it seems quite close.
@Chris A Hardaway when you cut BTs for R1, how much of the original BT lens is trimmed? If it is a lot I think the BT might work. I'm eye balling it but it seems possible

Maybe @Linegear Japan has a set of mars lenses in hand and could provide some measurements? They're probably a bit elliptic so basing on 2 measurements you will know if they land somewhere within the donor's boundaries. Nobody would have to bust the C clips.

I would still say that tacos wold work for Mars.

Maybe @Linegear Japan has a set of mars lenses in hand and could provide some measurements? They're probably a bit elliptic so basing on 2 measurements you will know if they land somewhere within the donor's boundaries. Nobody would have to bust the C clips.

I would still say that tacos wold work for Mars.
I'm thinking BTs will work too, but risking a hard to get lens that might not fit makes me feel uncomfortable. Plus they are expensive as hell

Back