• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Drilling a hole for Ballistic 3.0 lense

Triton28

Oakley Beginner
I want to use the m frame heater lense in my Ballistic 3.0 frames. I would like to retain the clip for the lense so do I just use a drill bit? Also the end of the heater lense needs to be trimmed a little in length it's a little tight, can I just sand them down with a dremel sanding drum? If I break the clip of the 3.0 can I order one in the dark bone color? All I see as a replacement is black
Thanks
Keith

I want to use the m frame heater lense in my Ballistic 3.0 frames. I would like to retain the clip for the lense so do I just use a drill bit? Also the end of the heater lense needs to be trimmed a little in length it's a little tight, can I just sand them down with a dremel sanding drum? If I break the clip of the 3.0 can I order one in the dark bone color? All I see as a replacement is black
Thanks
Keith
I have zero practical knowledge of drilling a lens. If you do try it. Put some kind of tape on the lens where you drill. And use some type of lubrication like pb blast. And go very slow. Heat is your enemy.

Heater lenses should fit into a M Frame 3.0 without modification. It should be a little tight when inserting. Think prom night.

As far as drilling a hole, you should be able to do that if you want to be able to use the clip. I have never tried it. I would suggest googling "drill polycarbonate" and see if anything comes up. Any time I've used a standard M Frame lens in a 2.0 or 3.0, I have just used them without the clips. Maybe some day I will experiment with drilling them.

I don't see any replacement clips on OakleySI.com. eBay has some but they are aftermarket.

I wouldnt use pb blast on lenses! Youre basically drilling very thin plastic, pipes is right in that heat is the enemy, but i dont think you would drill lomg enough to create enough heat to cause melt damage.
I would also think pb blast could ruin your lens., but thats just a guess.

Aside from water, i would use lense cleaning solution as a lubricant.

And as stated above, be careful!
If youre NOT using a drill press it would be very easy for your drill bit to track off your drilling point and leave a nasty gash across your lens!

Let us know how it goes though.

I wouldnt use pb blast on lenses! Youre basically drilling very thin plastic, pipes is right in that heat is the enemy, but i dont think you would drill lomg enough to create enough heat to cause melt damage.

If youre NOT using a drill press it would be very easy for your drill bit to track off your drilling point and leave a nasty gash across your lens!

You are probably right about the pb blaster.

Also, if you plan on using a dremel and sanding drum to trim the edge of the lense, be careful not to let the drum “catch” the lens edge whileyoure sanding.
What i mean by that, is that ive found with a dremel, if youre sanding at high speeds, the sanding drum has a tendancy to grab whatever youre sanding and go too deep, leaving little half moons all over your project.
Total control is necessary. Either use a slow speed setting on the dremel or mount your dremel in a vice and hold the lense and bring it to the dremel.

Hope that makes sense. Lol

Thanks for the info. I'm going to tape the lense and mark them on the tape. I have a drill press so I'm thinking of drilling a small hole first then go to the correct size. Instead of using the dremel I'll try the drill press with a sanding drum. I'll post pictures of the outcome.

Could probably use a brad point with a center punch. But I agree, drill press for accuracy! Though not sure how you’d mount it with it messing with the lens

Back