• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Factors affecting trade or resale value of a collectable frog

cmac

Oakley Beginner
Pennsylvania
Hey all. I've had my eye on a few different pairs of Frogskins that I'm interested in adding to my (very modest) collection. All would be pieces with pretty limited production numbers (let's say less than 1000)... Mostly colabs. However, my experience is that finding pairs that are in pristine condition has been relatively simple, but it's been pretty common to find some sort of other issue.

For example:
Missing box.
Normal paperwork (warranty card, etc) that would have been included with the pair is missing.
Original box is included but prior owner removed the sticker with model info/sku.
Microfiber bag legitimately shipped with the purchased pair is generic and not the pair-specific one normally found with them (seen this happen a few time late in a run, or once something makes its way to the vault or a discounted retailer). It's like oakley ran out of the unique bags and just started using other ones.

Let's leave the potential of these items being fakes out of the equation and just ASSUME they are authentic. If that is the case, my question is relatively simple: while I'd be looking to keep these pairs for now, there could come a day when I'd want to sell them or use them as trade equity. Can anyone provide insight (based on experience dealing with similar situations, or just general "rule of thumb" you've learned along the way) as to how these examples would affect trade or re-sale prices based on whatever the pair would sell or trade for at any given time in BNIB/LNIB condition with everything being exactly as it would have been at the time of original purchase? While adding a cool piece that I like to the collection is the number one priority, taste change, and having this knowledge would really help in determining when to buy (and when to keep looking). Thanks!

I think it would really depend on who is buying them. I buy sunglasses to wear not stuff in a case so to me the bag and box is not important, the condition of the glasses is everything. Now to somebody that collects it could be a deal breaker. Just be okay with the fact somebody might lower a offer for a missing bag or box when you buy ones without them. I don't think anybody cares about warranty papers, cause if I buy them for you I ain't getting a warranty anyway lol.

As a collector, you have to realize that you're going to buy a product that has a limited release, so there are a limited amount of people that buy/sell them...

That said, don't go into it thinking you'll cash out exactly how much you put into it, because the odds of that happening is unlikely for most (if not all) of your pieces...

These are sunglasses man, nothing more, nothing less...

Hey all. I've had my eye on a few different pairs of Frogskins that I'm interested in adding to my (very modest) collection. All would be pieces with pretty limited production numbers (let's say less than 1000)... Mostly colabs. However, my experience is that finding pairs that are in pristine condition has been relatively simple, but it's been pretty common to find some sort of other issue.

For example:
Missing box.
Normal paperwork (warranty card, etc) that would have been included with the pair is missing.
Original box is included but prior owner removed the sticker with model info/sku.
Microfiber bag legitimately shipped with the purchased pair is generic and not the pair-specific one normally found with them (seen this happen a few time late in a run, or once something makes its way to the vault or a discounted retailer). It's like oakley ran out of the unique bags and just started using other ones.

Let's leave the potential of these items being fakes out of the equation and just ASSUME they are authentic. If that is the case, my question is relatively simple: while I'd be looking to keep these pairs for now, there could come a day when I'd want to sell them or use them as trade equity. Can anyone provide insight (based on experience dealing with similar situations, or just general "rule of thumb" you've learned along the way) as to how these examples would affect trade or re-sale prices based on whatever the pair would sell or trade for at any given time in BNIB/LNIB condition with everything being exactly as it would have been at the time of original purchase? While adding a cool piece that I like to the collection is the number one priority, taste change, and having this knowledge would really help in determining when to buy (and when to keep looking). Thanks!
As you've seen already, people have different opinions over the worth of the "extras" on top of the sunglasses. It becomes a matter of preference really, but it will affect pricing.

Some would prefer "variety of pieces" over "completeness", so that will determine how much someone wants to pay. Other things that affect the pricing include whether the buyer has more than one piece. Some will select a complete set, even if the sunglasses are not as pristine as another incomplete set.

What can be said, however, is that for the "collectible" pieces (and I would define them as limited editions), certainly having a "complete" set is more desirable. It can add as much as 20-30% to the cost of just glasses themselves, particularly if the accompanying boxes are numbered (mainly non O-matter) e.g. C6, London Police Pack, Madman Raw etc.

The only reason that extras may not add to the overall cost is if the piece appears rarely ie. comes up less than once every 6 months or so.

@kronin323 makes the cynical, but astute observation that x-metal pricing is the product of "mutually agreed on delusions" but I think this is also true for Frogskins. After all, the actual cost of production is really a fraction of what these items sell for.

While there are collectors who collect purely to profit, most of us collect to try to break even or expand our collection. It really is the joy of ownership that does it for us and the satisfaction of obtaining a nice piece of Oakley that no one else (except people in this community) really appreciate. Everyone else thinks we are nuts.

All the best in your hunting!

I'll chime in here. If your looking to wear your stuff be it rare or not.... don't ever expect to get back out what you've got in.. in frogs completeness is everything that includes paperwork..if I'm going to spend 800 on a pair of rare skins it had better have that perfect minty box, papers bag ect.(that is if that pair came wit it originally) . I'd be happy to buy something rare that's missing that stuff too but the price drastically changes. Having a large variety of rare and non rare or even custom stuff it's best to keep those pair you want to resell locked away if you expect a return. Or you find the right person that has to have that pair your selling and just do your best to get out of it before it gets worse. .

I'm currently exiting a few things and entering a few others but I always keep a log of what I've paid just in case I can't remember when it's time to sell. Good luck in your hunt or whatever your after. Your tastes will change but you'll always like that elusive pair your after the best..

Brian (SoulfulFrog) Solomon

Ps

I hope I understood your questions or statements correctly. I tend to read something a few times and go off topic.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback guys. With me, it's always a combination of wear and stare. In either case, it's never about making a profit.... But my insanity is, unfortunately, held precariously in check by the bottom line of my checking account so looking for the right deals to leverage along the way to help me get to that elusive pair I've been seeking is where the spirit of the post came from.

Plus, it's more fun if you really have to work for it. Or maybe I'm just a masochist.

Latest Posts

Back