• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are people (Forum members included) so cheap?

If someone tries to lowball, I send them this instead...believe me this is my post no.888 so this should be a lucky one;)

warren-buffett-tips-for-getting-rich.jpg

I said in another thread about 3 weeks ago that by 2025 there shouldn't be a basic, complete BNIB XMetal for sale for more than $200...

You might still have Ichiros and Gold Juliets/XS go for @ $700, but not $1500-1800 like they are now...

IH Juliets are now @ $400-450 in 2017...

Xmetals don't have any staying power...
Ever watch Antiques Roadshow where old appraisals are shown and the value then is compared to the value now ... lots of flux and in items that perhaps have more intrinsic value than a pair of sunnies, even our beloved Oakleys. I'm new to the Forum but not new to market dynamics .... @ucdavis4PT0gpa and others are spot on; don't think we should be overly optimistic on the future value of our prized collections.

But then I was wrong that one other time ...o_O

HAHAHA.

I am having a time wrapping my mind around this thread. Maybe I don't know how to shop for the good stuff. I'd just do some researching, come up with an appropriate price, seller agrees (or not), and I move on. Am I missing something?

All this market talk is nauseating, it's there, or it's not. Make adjustments to pique interest, or wait it out.
Well said ... I'm going upstairs to decide what pair to wear tomorrow ... peace :cool-33:

I would say the market is peaking or peaked right now - on all Oakley stuff.

The vintage stuff will hold value (Stuff from 80's/90's) but it aint gonna go up too much IMO. I reckon that market has another 20 years and it will be just junk/tat/garbage ready to be thrown away.

As for X Metal - I only knew about the early X Metals and had never heard of the others until I joined this forum a few years ago. The X Metal line is not vintage IMO and holds no 'True Oakley Heritage' - it was for the Millenials or Generation Y who missed out on the truest funkiest real mothers that were the coolest thing on the planet back then....

Once upon a time...

There was a forum of enthusiasts. They became a community, and learned they could help each other build their collections through the exchange of items within the community. Thus the Exchange was created to provide a venue for the community to buy/sell/trade. Sure there was some price haggling, there always is, but for the most part items were listed for around what they were worth and were bought for around what they were worth. And they mocked the over-inflated ebay listings as they went skipping through daisy-covered fields wearing nothing but fig leaves.

@kronin323 Unfortunately, your post doesn't belong here. It just makes too much sense! This thread is for whining. whaa whaa whaa :D

@kronin323 Unfortunately, your post doesn't belong here. It just makes too much sense! This thread is for whining. whaa whaa whaa :D

Lol...

To be clear to the greater audience, my earlier post, however it may read, was not meant as a criticism, merely a reckoning of observed events. Most of the discussion on this thread has been around the x-metal market in general (mirroring a similar thread) though the point has been made several times that what we're seeing in the exchange doesn't necessarily match the greater market. I do believe long-term the market will not sustain its value and have posted so numerous times elsewhere, don't believe it's worth repeating my arguments why again here, but thought the evolution of the exchange practices within the greater market had some value to relate to the OP's / David's original frustration.

And the whole "lowballers hit the value thread" thing, that too is not necessarily a criticism. The advice to "take your time to find the right deal and you can save some money" is certainly valid and beneficial. The point was providing that advice in a thread meant to answer "what's the proper current value of this item", not "what's the best deal I can find on this item", had the effect, intended or not, of lowering the perceived value of some items within the forum. Because, I repeat, values are really just mutually agreed upon delusions.

Once upon a time...

There was a forum of enthusiasts. They became a community, and learned they could help each other build their collections through the exchange of items within the community. Thus the Exchange was created to provide a venue for the community to buy/sell/trade. Sure there was some price haggling, there always is, but for the most part items were listed for around what they were worth and were bought for around what they were worth. And they mocked the over-inflated ebay listings as they went skipping through daisy-covered fields wearing nothing but fig leaves.

But as the community grew, so did the exchange. And people began joining just to benefit from the non-ebay pricing found there, the community second in their minds if there at all. And others began to realize they could make a profit to supplement their income. The exchange became a life of its own. The general market may fluctuate over time, but within the exchange, relative to the market, premium pricing started to grow. While the lowballers multiplied like rabbits. Older members still practiced the old ways, and they sold more easily because their prices were more fair, but even they were subjected to a flood of ridiculous lowball offers and they began dropping out, frustrated.

Values are just mutually agreed upon delusions anyway...

I know this was a partial parody response, but man that hits home and makes me nostalgic for the halcyon days. Not of higher "values" but of the community as it was.

Back