• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First lens cuts!

nevermind found the lens chart looks like both will work for both penny or juliet but it will really come down to what I have to work with after the polarity is realigned.

Good luck on the cuts.

Few quick question, is your dad looking to adopt?

OR

Do you need a good looking Asian brother!?!?

:D

I sold both my polar donors and picked up a non-polar violet donor yesterday. Excited to do the cut since now I don't have to fuss with the polar stuff!

The already cut ones...I carefully lined up the polarity with an LCD and some tape, one can be saved for the juliet, the other maybe for a penny, will have to wait for the penny in the mail to see. Will post pics when done for anyone interested

Sorry to revive this thread and kind of hijack it but a couple of related questions ....

For home cutting, how do you find the optical centre? Is there an easy way without expensive equipment?

If the optical centre is off by a mm or two in a non pol chop, will that be noticeable or cause problems?

Thanks to the OP or any experts for advice.

non pol there is no center and it doesnt matter.
pol if the center is off even by a mm its ruined you won't be able to wear it it will hurt your eyes.
i recommend not doing pol cuts by hand stick to non pol.
find center...only on pol...keep them exactly horizontally lined up w eachother..or can test by holding it up to an lcd screen as kronin showed me.
when aligned, the lenses will both turn dark At EXACTLY the same time as you rotate the glasses left or right (with lcd screen on other side).
if it's not exactly the same time, its off and the lenses are ruined.
even trying to save my polar cuts for smaller pair cuts was futile. I recommend staying away from polar

Technically Oakley's XYZ optics means there is an optical center, even on non-polar. But since everybody's faces / eye placements are different, it's unlikely your eyes are lined up perfectly with the optical center anyway, unless they were custom aligned for you.

So you want to stay as close to the center as possible but being off a bit shouldn't cause any problems. There have been a number of custom cuts done where the etching (such as IH etching) was preserved, which moves the optical center more than otherwise, and I've never heard of any problems.

But yes, with polar, you have to know what you're doing to keep the polar orientation correct and matched on both lenses.