• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First run of Juliet “black with ruby red” question

I’ll have to see one of those. I’ve seen a decent amount of P boxes and never did any of them match.

Not surprising. The vast majority of these Ruby Juliets were distributed through authorized dealers who did not match the boxes with the appropriate serialed pair, unless the dealer only got one pair in the store at any given time. In fact even most fans didn’t know about matching labels back then and so didn’t know to check it. If you ordered online through Oakley.com you would get the matching box with the sunglasses.

Not surprising. The vast majority of these Ruby Juliets were distributed through authorized dealers who did not match the boxes with the appropriate serialed pair. In fact even most fans didn’t know about matching labels back then and so didn’t know to check it. If you ordered online through Oakley.com you would get the matching box with the sunglasses.
I got my Ruby, X001849 on Hilton Head Island in 2000 at some golf shop. It was the only one they ever had so I got lucky and didn’t have to worry about it not matching. It was an X serial on the box though.

On the other hand, I bought a Ruby Mars from a guy on eBay who got it from oakley.com way back when and it came with a P serial box that didn’t match the frame. He even still had the original receipt. We called oakley and talked to several people but never got a clear answer to it, big surprise lol. That’s what started all the P serial research for me that one Mars box. It didn’t have the red planet on the sleeve either, it was a normal sleeve like a juliet.

Also my emerald Mars came from oakley.com and has a P serial and doesn’t match.

Last edited:
One of these sold last month on here. Not sure who bought it. serial was 2704. Want to flip it to me? :drinks:

I got my Ruby, X001849 on Hilton Head Island in 2000 at some golf shop. It was the only one they ever had so I got lucky and didn’t have to worry about it not matching. It was an X serial on the box though.

On the other hand, I bought a Ruby Mars from a guy on eBay who got it from oakley.com way back when and it came with a P serial box that didn’t match the frame. He even still had the original receipt. We called oakley and talked to several people but never got a clear answer to it, big surprise lol. That’s what started all the P serial research for me that one Mars box. It didn’t have the red planet on the sleeve either, it was a normal sleeve like a juliet.

Also my emerald Mars came from oakley.com and has a P serial and doesn’t match.

It’s not inconceivable that your store actually did get two and you got the final one with both having non-matching boxes. Nevertheless if I ever get the motivation to find my P serial box i’ll take a picture with the pair, but don’t hold your breath. Hopefully someone already has a pic and will post someday to save me the trouble.

I have not seen a Ruby Mars match with a printed label either. It’s a result of sharing the same serial pool with the black Mars. Oakley couldn’t make the serials match without some hassle so they didn’t bother.

Last edited:
The biggest misconception with the first runs of the Ruby Juliet lenses is that it was pure red or deep purple. They weren’t. They were subject to huge variations as most batches of the Ruby lens were. If there was an O-Review or Oakley Forum back in 2000 the biggest complaint would be how the Ruby Iridium lenses didn’t look like the lenses in the X-men movie and that it had too much yellow at the edges.

A P prefix on the box label for the Ruby Juliet is normal.
Glad you said it so I didn’t have to! The variability was always there with ruby.

Is Black another name for Carbon in this instance?
It’s not inconceivable that your store actually did get two and you got the final one with both having non-matching boxes. Nevertheless if I ever get the motivation to find my P serial box i’ll take a picture with the pair, but don’t hold your breath. Hopefully someone already has a pic and will post someday to save me the trouble.

I have not seen a Ruby Mars match with a printed label either. It’s a result of sharing the same serial pool with the black Mars. Oakley couldn’t make the serials match without some hassle so they didn’t bother.

And so, I too have a box for an X-Metal / Black Iridium box for my Ruby pair..............

And so, I too have a box for an X-Metal / Black Iridium box for my Ruby pair..............
Like this? That’s my backup pair. It’s matched too.

E112A4D0-BFDC-46A1-9AB8-A02830A9BA75.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back