• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak 2.0 XL, didn't see myself getting it until I needed its functions

KarlBlessing

I should Work at Oakley
West Michigan
20210511_182039.jpg

After having the Clifden I learned that either my head is f'd up or my nose isn't quite centered. Because with the blockers on the side, the right one hugs into my head firmly and the left has some gap that I would have to unsnap them from the arms (so they can swing freely) just to be able to get an even cupping on the side of my face. I tested this with every other glasses using my finger and the gap is smaller on the right than on the left of the arm... so yea my face isn't compatible with something like the Clifden without doing some weird work around.

Was suggested Flak 2.0 and seen mentions of them online and how they're meant for medium to large heads and they seemed good all around. I mainly wanted something that had decent side blocking but wouldn't feel unnatural on me because it pushed more one way than the other.

And wanting more lens coverage the XL came up, surprised to learn it didn't mean frame size like my Holbrook XL, but rather that the lens itself is larger.

I went with the Deep Water polarized because they didn't have Shallow Water in the store (this was at the Novi location near Detroit as I was over there for work), and I been curious to try Deep Water. I had the option of the White/Grey frame or the Black, went with the black naturally, I tend not to want to be 'too' flashy (despite that lens mirror).

Wore them on the 3 hour way home during the late afternoon (6p til sunset), driving west into the sun most the time. Love em.

The lens itself initially made me think they were very close to the Prizm Daily Polarized I have on my Wire Tap 2.0, very similar feeling of contrast/tone (they're both rose base), but depending on the sun the deep water gets very warm looking fast, not quite as 'golden hour' as my Shallow Water (which are currently lose lens for my Holbrook XL), but much more so than Prizm Daily.

Lens shape wise I like them better than the lens design on the Wire Tap 2.0. On the Wire Tap 2.0, if my eyes looks off to the side or edges where the end of the lens is, there's a ripple or distortion effect (I guess because of that nylon monofilament and groove there) which can be a little disorienting sometimes if I look off to the side or bottom just right. That doesn't happen with the Flak 2.0 XL lens, it's just a end of the lens, no little weird light or distortion at the edge when my eyes see it.

The frame grabs the back of my head at the tail of the arm and almost nothing on the side near the ears , it's not really that tight but what would describe as 'secure'. I'm not too used to having things press against my eyebrows but these weren't bad. The blockage on the side was rather decent for something that doesn't have huge blocker or arms (like say the gascan).

Really liking em for the practical stuff, just didn't think I would be getting them as they seemed more sporty and I'm not usually a 'sporty' guy.

Do wish I had some Shall Water in them, might try to sell/trade my SWP for my Holbrook XL since I have Trail lens in my woodgrain Holbrook XL right now.

The other reason I looked at these was because there seems to be a massive amount of options in terms of getting replacement lens, and while I am a rose-base lover I haven't really tried much of the other lens aside from the Rose gold one. I need to try more.

Nice! You will be able to get shallow water replacement lenses all day long. You should also try Prizm 24k, the bronze base is really nice for bright days

Congrats! DWP handles bright sunshine awesome!
It does, but I like the 'look' of SWP more, might try to get a pair to fit into them (though I still have loose Holbrook XL SWP lens, I just don't want to take the Trails out of my Holbrook). But I also like DWP more than Prizm Daily which are in my Wire Tap 2.0.

So that was interesting, Wife asked where my "Mad Scientist" glasses were because wanted me to use them in a couple selfie and I was like I don't have that, and she was actually disappointed I didn't have em anymore. I was like, I thought you thought they were silly, course she was surprised at first but grew on her quickly lol.

Maybe I'll get another Clifden when they come up cheap in the market or something.

So that was interesting, Wife asked where my "Mad Scientist" glasses were because wanted me to use them in a couple selfie and I was like I don't have that, and she was actually disappointed I didn't have em anymore. I was like, I thought you thought they were silly, course she was surprised at first but grew on her quickly lol.

Maybe I'll get another Clifden when they come up cheap in the market or something.
You could put up a “Buying” post in the exchange if you don’t want to wait for a sale

Congrats on the new purchase! My love for my flak 2.0 XL grows daily. I have always been a fan of Predator and the helmets ability to change different light spectrums from the lens without taking it off and changing them out. The flak 2.0 XL has just enough room on the both arms to house a mini circuit board. I have transitions so I know the technology is out there for Oakley to come up with a XL lens that has a Oakley connect port that is integrated into the outer part of the lens since it already connects there. The only change would be coming up with a system that allows the user like those of us who Rx to purchase the Prizm whatever DWP, SWP, Daily Road… and it will only activate what you purchased or they could give us the option to buy all the Prizm line or allow us to customize our own lens within a Oakley phone app.

Creating this would expand everything to night vision to being able to download data and get warnings inside the lens to allow you to adapt to all conditions. If it’s sunny and damaging to the eyes it will have an icon that will appear on the side to indicate the weather conditions then disappear.
Adding this would eliminate counterfeit altogether for a pretty good time. The Flaks would just have to be placed in the case over night to charge and update when new firmware become available. Just think how this would change everything and have others playing catch up.

Solar lens option as well, yes it does exist and that would eliminate having to charge them in the case due to the fact we have sunlight. Oakley could come up with a small solar strip to keep the unit operating in stealth as well for example the icon O could be a solar panel on both sides to power them as well. So many possibilities.

sorry for my early morning rant. I hope it makes sense. SWP is on a different level to me than any of the Prizm line up. Oakley hit it out the park when then created it. I’m sitting in mine now 😎

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back