• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying FUBAR/Beater donor lenses for practice cutting

U

Username Hidden

Beggars can't be choosers... but if we could, I'd request priamrily Flak XLJ or Bottle Rocket lenses in beat-up shape to utilize for practice hand-cutting for the X-Squared. Because the margins are very tight for those two lenses, I'd like to get some additional practice in before moving on to the final run of lenses. Which I should note are polarized, so I'd gladly take any beat polar lenses to verify if my assumption of the poalr axis being still even once cut is correct.

I've done a first run of both XLJ and BR, which were semi successful - but certainly not refined enough for me to feel comfortable moving to the final go.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 11.41.01 AM.png

EDIT
I'd like to refine my skills focusing on the Flak XLJ lenses - although I would be grateful for any other donors. Especially any small lense for youth/kids models, I don't even need the pair. I'd just like to have some smaller options on hand, incase I make a critical mistake - I'll be able to tell if anything smaller could be cut for it, that way saving my mistake ha.

Thanks

Last edited:
Some people reacted to this post.
I might have a set or two. I'll have to double check. Let me get back to you. Are you interested in other beater lenses too? I have some XMXX beaters for sure.

Username Hidden said:
I might have a set or two. I'll have to double check. Let me get back to you. Are you interested in other beater lenses too? I have some XMXX beaters for sure.
XLJ is my primary focus since the particular final run set are XLJ lenses, would consider Bottle Rockets or Fast Jacket XL as well. Don't believe XMXX have enough surface area to fit for an XS?

I just wanted to see if you were only looking for XLJ or if you wanted to try your hand with other lenses. I never toss lenses so i've been hanging on to them for cutters who want to experiment. I have RX ones from a Juliet and an MD that i pulled from craigslist finds. I'll get back to you tonight to see if i have a beater large XLJ lens for you.

Username Hidden said:
I just wanted to see if you were only looking for XLJ or if you wanted to try your hand with other lenses. I never toss lenses so i've been hanging on to them for cutters who want to experiment. I have RX ones from a Juliet and an MD that i pulled from craigslist finds. I'll get back to you tonight to see if i have a beater large XLJ lens for you.
After successfully making two decent m2 lenses from goggle donors I've taken interested into cutting lenses. Although I don't have many donors to practice one besides snow goggles, which I'd like to reserve for M lenses. The Flak XLJ is the focus because the particular DBP lenses I want to cut for my XS are Flak XLJ cut, figure becoming fluent in that lens would make it all easier. These three models I'm primarily interested in working with...
XS (F XLJ, FJ XL, shields, goggles, BR?, etc)
JB (radar ev, turbine, goggles)
JFL (Sliver, MLink, Jupiter, Brooks?)
Let me know what you turn up. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have some clear 2.0

Username Hidden said:
I have some clear 2.0
Flak 2.0 won't exactly fit XS... The cutout on the outer edge of the Flak 2.0 lens ends up being part of the XS lens, thanks for the offer though!

I have some trashed Flak 1.0 XLJ Greys you can have. It’s the larger XLJ version you are looking for. PM me if you want them.

Turns out i don't have any beater XLJ's. Sorry about that, but looks like @Oak Heel 's got you covered.

:bump:

Latest Posts

Back