• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help! Sunglasses broken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine owns a pair of oakley sunglasses (flak xlj, I believe) and occasionally lets me borrow them. I didn't realize they were in my pocket before I took a seat and the tension of being in my pocket lead to what happened in the attached media. How can I fix this? I tried boiling it to get it soft enough to stick a needle and connect the two but it never seems to melt. I've seen methods like using Acetone on some sunglasses. Will it work on these? I feel really bad and don't want to even have to show them this!
wow... that's amazing... never seen newer models break so cleanly before. You must have a really old pair of Flak or you're very unlucky. You can always attempt to glue it back but it won't be the same again... try it at your own risk. You can get decently priced Flak Jacket frames if you know where/how to look for them.

FYI I tried to break my Quarter Jacket (again) just now but it's impossible:

DSC_5608.jpg

DSC_5609.jpg

and it's good as new...

DSC_5610.jpg

Your general outlook on people of low income is really disgusting. I am not buying my clothes at goodwill and have a car, but I'm not frivolous enough (and neither is my friend) to think that sunglasses that cost more than $50 is a sensible way to use your money. Sorry that my life isn't full of opulence like yours.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nothing I said says that I look down on people of low income. All I said was somebody that cant afford to replace what was lent to him by a friend better not be spending money on themselves at all unless it is a necessity. And it seems as though your friend thinks glasses that cost more than $50 is a sensible way to spend money. Out here in Chicago we have a word for guys like you; Jag-off.

Yes, I am a douche for being unable to replace someone's expensive eyewear.
I've talked with him about this and he said that he can get a pair of $5 sunglasses that'd provide the same function. I am still seeing if he'll let me buy his new pair, but the rudeness from OakleyGuru isn't needed whatsoever.

Thank you to anyone who responded with a helpful reply to this, rather than calling me a douche for being unable to afford $120+ sunglasses.
No brother, you're a douche because you borrow items you know you can't replace.

In my experience friendships work better on a strict "you break it, you replace it" regime.. One of the reasons I don't like loaning out my sunglasses or goggles is that some people don't realize a scratch is very often a new lens, but everyone knows that if they damage the Porsche it goes to the dealer at their expense...
My policy is a little stricter than that regarding vehicles. If you wreck it you OWN it- you just don't go get it fixed and leave me with something that has been repaired where it had not been repaired previously. Vehicles have diminished value when repaired so a vehicle that you asked if you can borrow is worth less at resale time when I get it back, The paintwork will never match and will get worse over time so you've effectively diminished the value and made it less marketable. That has always been my gentleman's agreement with respect to vehicles.
If you want to joyride something of mine I'm happy to accommodate with the understanding that if you f it up it's yours. I find that people are more cautious with stuff when presented with that risk vs reward scenario and if you stuff my car into something I really don't want it back- it's yours. Future prospective buyers will check CarFax and demand a discount due to prior damage and reservations about the quality of the fix.
For other stuff the understanding is that something borrowed is returned in BETTER condition than it left in. Chainsaw gets returned with the blade sharpened, wet-vac with the filter cleaned, etc.
With respect to this thread, a pair of plastic frames should be replaced and not repaired. Chances are very good that the repair will not be as strong as the original condition.

"Sorry I broke your 15th century Ming Dynasty Vase. You know what your flowers would look even better in? My dip cup."

i rarely lend out my stuff and rarely borrow anything. I guess that's why my place has so much junk... :S

My policy is a little stricter than that regarding vehicles. If you wreck it you OWN it- you just don't go get it fixed and leave me with something that has been repaired where it had not been repaired previously. Vehicles have diminished value when repaired so a vehicle that you asked if you can borrow is worth less at resale time when I get it back, The paintwork will never match and will get worse over time so you've effectively diminished the value and made it less marketable. That has always been my gentleman's agreement with respect to vehicles.
If you want to joyride something of mine I'm happy to accommodate with the understanding that if you f it up it's yours. I find that people are more cautious with stuff when presented with that risk vs reward scenario and if you stuff my car into something I really don't want it back- it's yours. Future prospective buyers will check CarFax and demand a discount due to prior damage and reservations about the quality of the fix.
For other stuff the understanding is that something borrowed is returned in BETTER condition than it left in. Chainsaw gets returned with the blade sharpened, wet-vac with the filter cleaned, etc.
With respect to this thread, a pair of plastic frames should be replaced and not repaired. Chances are very good that the repair will not be as strong as the original condition.
When I borrow your car and scratch it and it becomes mine. Cani replace it with a 70 something VW Beetle ? :)

Is there anyone on this forum that could help this guy out ? Fix them ? Douche or not, he's made a mistake, infact they both have and the owner is now the proud owner of ruined flaks.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back