• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Do You Know?

That's all well and good until that hella deal pops up and you've already bought your 1 pair for the month. We need 1 pair a month and the option for another pair just in case.
Here is the thing.....if you buy a pair of Frogs....they are cheap and there goes your one pair.....or you can buy a pair of C-6s and blow money like that and there goes your one pair. What would you RATHER get for your one pair during the month?

I think it is better to set a monthly budget and try to stick to that and if you don't use it carry the funds into the next month and so on.

For some of the pairs, it really is the thrill of the hunt. Once you acquire said pairs, there is a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. But you are right, that thrill fades away, but you are still happy to own what you have. I have been into Oakleys for a long time. I have had other collections as well, but Oakleys are what I have sunk most of my money into over the years. Hell, I joined this forum to help expand my collection and get to know you guys and share the passion. I try to keep only what will fit in my doublewide, aside from the automatic watches that I have on winders. I have bought and sold many pairs, and it has been a lot of fun.
I know the feeling you have though. I got that feeling on rare limited Benchmade knives. I lost that fire for seeking them out and ended up selling a good portion of my collection. They were very expensive, and of course I would never use them. They were for display only. I decided to sell some and invest some of that money into expanding my Oakley collection. At least I wear those. I am not sad to see those knives go. I am however sad to see pairs of my Oakleys go that I sell to fund more Oakleys. I pretty much miss every pair of Oakleys that I have ever sold. I doubt that I will ever tire of collecting Oakleys. I have been doing it longer than any other collection that I have ever owned, and I still enjoy every bit of it; my wallet however has not. If you feel like you have already lost that fire, I doubt that you will get it back. You should keep the pairs that you wear frequently and donate the rest to your fellow Oakley brethren ;). Take it easy man!

Well, this month I got a pair of Frogskins Sundays, An XX TiO2, two pairs of Aquatique frogskins to customize, a Bob, A Copper Penny, and a pair of Wally's. I think I need to put my monthly budget down slightly.

I like the idea of setting a monthly budget. You're right about a single pair not being enough. But.. those new IH Frogskins *drool*

How do you know when you don't want X-Metals anymore? I've been thinking about not getting anymore X-Metals, again. I think I'm going to sell all my X-Metals, and keep a single pair of Frogskins. *crosses fingers*

I see what you're trying to do; nice... :onthequiet:

Re: monthly budget vs. one-pair-a-month...

That's basically what I did, a monthly budget aimed for one pair a month. I said to myself, "OK, $300 - $400 a month, aim more for $300". And that can work out to about one pair a month, but doesn't have to - first I got an XS for $400. The next month I got a Crater for $350 (eyeframesman). But the month after that I got a few 3-tiers and two pairs of bottle rockets for yardwork / beach (so I don't have to use my x-metals any more), all total within that price range. And I want to get two pairs of eyeframesman Mars ($600), but instead of buying one a month for two months, I'll save one month and buy two pairs at the same time the next, to combine shipping. And the month after that will probably go towards custom cuts and related. And when I'm ready to go for a R1, I'll need to combine two months budget before starting the hunt...

Yeah, unless you want to adjust your plan you end up having to pass on many strike-while-the-iron's-hot deals, but I've found those sort of impulse purchases are more likely to lead to "buyer's remorse", where actually having the product ends up being less exciting than making the buy itself, and one ends up feeling a little regret.

It also helps keep your spending in line. I mean, you can make a car payment with $400 a month; that's not setting aside chump change. With spur-of-the-moment purchases, it's too easy to just focus on the price for the single item and not pay enough attention to the cumulative spending over time...

I ended up selling a couple things and got around $200 in my PayPal account. For the last month or so, I've only spent what is in my PayPal account (easier to deal with the wife that way too as no money comes out of bank account). If I want more, I have to sell stuff to get more money in the PayPal account. I don't use it to get specific things necessarily (but did splurge on a POW/MIA at retail a couple months ago), just kind of grab things that strike my fancy as they become available.

One thing I have found though, is that my pair of custom camo Fast Jackets are starting to effect my collection (which is meager anyways; no X-Metals/Elite & hovers around 10-15 pairs of O-Matter). I have three lenses for my Fast Jackets: BIP for bright days, G30 for overcast, Persimmon for night driving. I love the look and fit of the FJ's, and find myself wearing them at least 80% of the time. I end up having to force myself to wear other stuff. With no display, it means some stuff sits for several weeks in the closet with no face time. I'll probably be selling a few more things shortly, but holding onto my Fuel Cell collection for now. Not sure how long that will last though.

In terms of future purchases, I will be getting the new IH Fuel Cell at some point, and will be getting a new Square Wire when I can find the right price. Would love one of the custom-painted SI camo Fuel Cell's coming out, but not sure I'll be able to afford it, same with a Carbon Blade. I have a feeling sometime in the next few months, my collection will go from 10-15 to 6-8 that I'll wear frequently.

@pistolpetefan23 That's a great idea. I used to collect MTG cards, and I still collect Warhammer stuff. At one point, I would do exactly that, if I wanted more, I sold existing stuff to make money for the new stuff. It's kinda how I gamble cause I know I have a compulsive spending problem. I'll pull out a set amount to gamble with.. 20.. 100, whatever, and I never pull out more than that. Any money I make off that 20... or 100, that's free game for Gambling.

Back