• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Hi, I have bought this new Oakley Radar EV with prism field lenses for when I play competitive beach volleyball. Very happy so far. I played like 7-8 games so far and never properly cleaned the lenses. I just cleaned them quickly during and after the game using my T-shirt. I know its a bad idea, easy to scratch them with grains of sand. I am lazy, but I wanna start now to do things properly. What do you suggest me to do for a good cleaning when back home, maybe put glasses under running water? and for a clean up during a tournament game if i dive into the sand and i need to quickly remove sand from lenses? I cannot make the other team wait, its not allowed. Maybe I go off the court and take my water bottle and pour it quickly on the lenses? Then what, lenses are gonna be wet, should i use the microfiber cloth?

Thank you very much for any help!

View attachment 784938

View attachment 784939

View attachment 784940
giphy.gif

Sand......ok I’m OCD to my Oakleys.

I know they Optics are amazing and all. But me personally when I’m doing anything high activity I put my Oakleys in a case and pull out some safety glasses that are cheap and I don’t mind what happens to them. Also when I go to work I wear my Oakleys as soon as I get in the office off the they go and in a case and I get that pair of safety glasses to wear for the rest day until I leave to go home.

That’s my Oakley care advice for the Volleyball sand attacks. Hope that helps some.

Try not to make a habit out of wiping them off with your shirt. Not all shirts are created equal and some have a rougher surface which can cause hairline scratches.
Also if the family (wife) use softener in the wash and dryer, then your shirts are pretty much worthless for cleaning. You will get lots of smears!

Hi, I have bought this new Oakley Radar EV with prism field lenses for when I play competitive beach volleyball. Very happy so far. I played like 7-8 games so far and never properly cleaned the lenses. I just cleaned them quickly during and after the game using my T-shirt. I know its a bad idea, easy to scratch them with grains of sand. I am lazy, but I wanna start now to do things properly. What do you suggest me to do for a good cleaning when back home, maybe put glasses under running water? and for a clean up during a tournament game if i dive into the sand and i need to quickly remove sand from lenses? I cannot make the other team wait, its not allowed. Maybe I go off the court and take my water bottle and pour it quickly on the lenses? Then what, lenses are gonna be wet, should i use the microfiber cloth?

View attachment 784938

View attachment 784939

View attachment 784940
If you live in SoCal take them to HQ. I think they still have the washing unit in the main show room.

For lenses I use lens cleaning solution, bags are hand washed, and the rubbers are cleaned with hot soapy water!

Can i disinfect newly purchased xmetals with purell? I know some people here use purell to lubricate when installing the earsocks. But will the chemicals on purell stain or cause some discoloration on the titanium in the long run?

View attachment 784938

View attachment 784939

View attachment 784940
Distilled water to the rescue for our Oakleys. And our cars. And our motorcycles. Here is a simple and, from what I've discerned from the results, effective way to clean my Jade Iridium, various Ray-Ban and vintage American Optical lenses:

1. Using warm water you'll first thoroughly rinse each side of the lens, essentially "floating off" dust and any other particles such as dried salts or road grime.

2. With a very small amount of Dawn on a thumb and some opposing finger a very gentle wiping action is very briefly performed several times but for perhaps two seconds each time using minimal pressure with frequent rinsing. Allow the warm water and detergent to work to dissolve, dislodge and rinse away the contaminants. Very light fingernail usage for me adequately reaches the frame/lens junctions.

3. After the final tap rinse and using a spray bottle filled with distilled water, liberally spray each side of the lens(es). Keep in mind one must ensure adequate distilled water is used to not only mix with but also carry away the tap water sitting upon the lens.

4. Hopefully you've time until the next wearing to set them aside to to dry without having to use any manner of cloth to rub upon the surface.

Auto detailers will tell us the fewer occasions upon which one has to rub a paint finish with a cloth the fewer chances to introduce 'swirl marks' upon and damage the finish. I've found this advice to be sound. I wash the windshield on my motorcycle using only my bare hand and the above-method and have only some rock markings from road-throws, but no swirls. I also rinse the two bikes and a black Mercedes using distilled water. After doing so they're put in the garage and dry absent any water spotting. On a dare the Mercedes was once rinsed and left in the Southern California sun to dry. It dried in perhaps ten minutes, without use of a towel and without a single spot. Distilled water. I love that stuff almost as much as a single-malt.

Distilled water to the rescue for our Oakleys. And our cars. And our motorcycles. Here is a simple and, from what I've discerned from the results, effective way to clean my Jade Iridium, various Ray-Ban and vintage American Optical lenses:

1. Using warm water you'll first thoroughly rinse each side of the lens, essentially "floating off" dust and any other particles such as dried salts or road grime.

2. With a very small amount of Dawn on a thumb and some opposing finger a very gentle wiping action is very briefly performed several times but for perhaps two seconds each time using minimal pressure with frequent rinsing. Allow the warm water and detergent to work to dissolve, dislodge and rinse away the contaminants. Very light fingernail usage for me adequately reaches the frame/lens junctions.

3. After the final tap rinse and using a spray bottle filled with distilled water, liberally spray each side of the lens(es). Keep in mind one must ensure adequate distilled water is used to not only mix with but also carry away the tap water sitting upon the lens.

4. Hopefully you've time until the next wearing to set them aside to to dry without having to use any manner of cloth to rub upon the surface.

Auto detailers will tell us the fewer occasions upon which one has to rub a paint finish with a cloth the fewer chances to introduce 'swirl marks' upon and damage the finish. I've found this advice to be sound. I wash the windshield on my motorcycle using only my bare hand and the above-method and have only some rock markings from road-throws, but no swirls. I also rinse the two bikes and a black Mercedes using distilled water. After doing so they're put in the garage and dry absent any water spotting. On a dare the Mercedes was once rinsed and left in the Southern California sun to dry. It dried in perhaps ten minutes, without use of a towel and without a single spot. Distilled water. I love that stuff almost as much as a single-malt.
Great first post!

I only disagree with the nail at the frame/lens junction. Otherwise I do the same except for the distilled water, gonna try that.

Great first post!

I only disagree with the nail at the frame/lens junction. Otherwise I do the same except for the distilled water, gonna try that.
Thank you, DB, and I think you'll find DW to become a useful item. I also use it to wash and rinse a large picture window and the glass in some French doors leading onto the patio. This forum has proven helpful and informative. It seemed past-time to make an effort to contribute something perhaps useful.

Back