• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Curious: is the warm water/mild soap wash solution safe for the x-metals and their parts?

perfectly fine. ive dunked my xmetal juliet into the sink full of soapy warm water countless times for a wash. just rinse with fresh water afterwards and dry thoroughly.

Only frame i am wary of are the FMJ's and the Plasma finishes on Xmetals. Those i make sure everything is perfectly dry by towelling down and also blowdrying every bit fo the frame, inc the screw holes etc. Careful not to burn/warp your lenses when you do that though.

i guess just remember that for both frames and lenses, a quick bath in warm soapy water and being perfectly clean afterwards is a billion times better than leaving it oily and grimy - thats how your lenses start peeling, paint starts flaking, and rubbers start deteriorating.

I use mild soap to clean my sunglasses. I just let it sit to air dry. I do the same for the micro fiber bags, I wash it and rinse thoroughly with mild soap, then I just let it to air dry.

This is good info. I never got obsessive about cleaning any of my previous Oakley's - just get around to it when the lenses get too smudged.

That philosophy was challenged with my last pair; Radars. I use them cycling and often leave them with sweat on them after my ride. After 4 years of use, a coating on the inside of the lens has "de-laminated" and Oakley blames body oils. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It's just odd that this is the only pair I have had do this. The frame finish (plasma) also wore off at contact points, especially at my eyebrows.

I am going to get into the habit of rinsing my new Jawbones after every ride and maybe this will help avoid problems.

This is good info. I never got obsessive about cleaning any of my previous Oakley's - just get around to it when the lenses get too smudged.

That philosophy was challenged with my last pair; Radars. I use them cycling and often leave them with sweat on them after my ride. After 4 years of use, a coating on the inside of the lens has "de-laminated" and Oakley blames body oils. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It's just odd that this is the only pair I have had do this. The frame finish (plasma) also wore off at contact points, especially at my eyebrows.

I am going to get into the habit of rinsing my new Jawbones after every ride and maybe this will help avoid problems.

The Plasma frame color is a coating. Most standard solid colors are part of the plastic and won't really wear off. If you've got special finished like FMJ, chrome, patterns, prints, paints, then you run the risk of the frame wearing/chipping/fading. Just like anything other product. You can help avoid degradation by limiting use, removing skin oils and sweat, and giving the frame a protective coating (like waxing your car). But in my opinion having a frame with years of use that shows honest fade and wear is a pretty cool thing. Most people on the forum have a pristine collection with a beater pair they hide away, so it's nice to see someone getting use and love out of a frame.

The only exception are certain prints and styles that are color-injected into the plastic via a thermal printing process. Oakley does this as a custom-print option on Fuel Cells I believe, and they claim the colors won't fade, chip, wear, etc since they're not just a coating over the top of the plastic but now dyed into the frame.

not just rinse (although that would help), give it a good soap-down to remove oils too. i guarantee the lenses and frames will last at least twice as long, if not WAY more. I do it for all my frames.

If you are extremely active with your glasses I recommend a soap down once or twice a week.
i totally agree. i actually do that, minimum. If it was an extremely active day they go straight into the shower with me ahha!
^probably not

what are you referring to, and what does it even mean? you seem like youre just randomly spamming your 10 posts to get into the exchange forum, which is NOT cool.

Back