• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Restore Old Unobtainium That Has Gone Sticky!

Well this boiling water theory will spoil the hinges of your frames especially in O-matter frames as one needs to pull those rubber out, which puts pressure on the joint which will get loose if you do it frequently. Simply buy a oakley cleaning kit and clean the rubbers with them that works absolutely fine without spoiling your glasses.

I have recently tried this and as I have barely worn them since I attempted this, they seem to be in a better state. The grime and sweat was taken off but they still feel a little bit sticky. Not the sticky gummy crap were they are deteriorating or anything. I think it is a good method if you want to try it out.

I don't really even use boiling water. I use the hottest water my tap will put out, which is close to boiling I am sure but not really... It seems to work really well and so does hand sanitizer if they aren't too far gone.

I suppose it will work for prescription glasses too right? Since they have the same material etc.

Will try this evening after work. Thanks!

Just letting you know, it worked like magic.

Basically hot water dissolves fat and oil. How can I miss that?

And I tried twice, once with hot tap water which is good, and once with boiling water which is better.

Glad I found this post. Thanks again!

Hi, just a tip I thought to pass on.
Recently I got an old beater pair of Juliet's where the unobtanium doesn't look like its been cleaned since they were bought in '99. With nothing to lose I took off all the rubbers (no tears luckily) & threw them in a pot of Simple Green cleaning concentrate I keep around for stripping paint off old wargaming models.
A 15 minute soak, scrub with an old electric toothbrush (rubber gloves of course, the stuff's no good for your skin) & water rinse later & I have almost brand new unobtanium, no oozy gunky anything with the added benefit of a light orange fresh scent (its worn off after about a week of wear :p)

Hi, just a tip I thought to pass on.
Recently I got an old beater pair of Juliet's where the unobtanium doesn't look like its been cleaned since they were bought in '99. With nothing to lose I took off all the rubbers (no tears luckily) & threw them in a pot of Simple Green cleaning concentrate I keep around for stripping paint off old wargaming models.
A 15 minute soak, scrub with an old electric toothbrush (rubber gloves of course, the stuff's no good for your skin) & water rinse later & I have almost brand new unobtanium, no oozy gunky anything with the added benefit of a light orange fresh scent (its worn off after about a week of wear :p)
Just tried this with a pair of mucked up nose pieces, worked great, thanks.

Damn, I always forget to remove the sunglasses before applying the boiling water...

That explains all these scabs and scars!

Seriously though, thanks for the info. Hopefully it will revive my Mag M-Frame earsocks since I cannot find replacements!

Back