• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Restore Old Unobtainium That Has Gone Sticky!

Damn, I always forget to remove the sunglasses before applying the boiling water...

That explains all these scabs and scars!

Seriously though, thanks for the info. Hopefully it will revive my Mag M-Frame earsocks since I cannot find replacements!
Be very careful to make sure the earsocks are dry!

Does this work for nose pieces as well? My Blade piece needs some treatment.
Strangely my Blades pink nosepiece still looks and feels new after 28 years, and they've been worn countless times.

My Sculpt 6.0 (Oakley prescription frames) earsocks are a different story, I get a few months wear out of them before they start oozing oils. Replacements are now impossible to find, I'll need to look for alternatives and maybe cut them to fit. In the past I have sometimes made do with electrical shrinkwrap tubing, but this too breaks down over time.

Is it a fact that the rubber absorbs skin oils then releases them, or is it simply the rubber compound breaking down into constituents?
Thanks for the tips, I have silicon spray so will give it a try, and I also wasn't boiling them in water long enough - I was worried about the earsocks shrinking.

Strangely my Blades pink nosepiece still looks and feels new after 28 years, and they've been worn countless times.

My Sculpt 6.0 (Oakley prescription frames) earsocks are a different story, I get a few months wear out of them before they start oozing oils. Replacements are now impossible to find, I'll need to look for alternatives and maybe cut them to fit. In the past I have sometimes made do with electrical shrinkwrap tubing, but this too breaks down over time.

Is it a fact that the rubber absorbs skin oils then releases them, or is it simply the rubber compound breaking down into constituents?
Thanks for the tips, I have silicon spray so will give it a try, and I also wasn't boiling them in water long enough - I was worried about the earsocks shrinking.

The rubber oakley uses is specifically designed to get sticky when you sweat in them so it sticks and doesnt slip or slide off your face.

The downside is it breaks the material down

The rubber oakley uses is specifically designed to get sticky when you sweat in them so it sticks and doesnt slip or slide off your face.

The downside is it breaks the material down
I usually just give them a good rubbin every weekend naw wat I mean :spiteful:

In order to cover ourselves legally . . . . . some Health & Safety Warnings:

CAUTION
Read instructions carefully before attempting this at home.

CAUTION
Boiling Water is a hazard. It is Hot.
Always therefore remove sunglasses from face before applying boiling water.

CAUTION
Never leave boiling water unattended in the presence of children or animals.
For that matter, never leave your Oakleys unattended in the presence of children or animals either.
I guarantee you they will fk them up.

CAUTION
Do not mix up your cup of tea/coffee with your cup of ten-year-old ear-socks and sweaty skin oil gunk.

CAUTION
Only use clean boiling water for this process. The process will not be effective using other boiling substances such as Cup-a-Soup, Pot Noodle or Ovaltine.

CAUTION
Be careful when handling boiling hot ear-socks. (I bet that sentence has never been written before).
In fact, be careful when handling anything boiling.
The clue is in the phrase 'Boiling', moron.

- - - -

There ya go.
Just thought we should be covered in case someone poured boiling ear-gunk lava over their heads and sued us.
It could happen ya know.
:wink:

FUNNY

I’ve wiped the tack off with rubbing alcohol.
Long term exposure to the solvent might eat up the rubber. So it is momentarily

Latest Posts

Back