• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I can feel the bug coming on again

AusOakley

I should Work at Oakley
Sydney, Australia
So as most of you might know I had to sell all my x metals because of an operation I had. I'm regretting that decision now and had a question

Is there something I can do to the ends of the ear stems so that there isn't a lot of pressure on my head?

TIA

Well you could always bend them so they flare out, but then everybody will think they're fakes... :D

Really the only way most of them were designed for that sort of adjustment was through different size t-shocks; what sizes were you using?

Also, some frames are better for bigger heads, some for smaller. Which frames gave you trouble?

There's also the flex couplers - they were designed to give flex but would make a pair fit loose when they wore out. A pair in the need of a tuneup would put less pressure, if otherwise acceptable...

Were the shorter stems of the X-Squared better or worse in that regard @ausoakley ?

If those are more problematic, then maybe an R1 or XX on the brink of needing a tune up with the lowest numbered t-shox, as Kronin suggests.

Last edited:
Well you could always bend them so they flare out, but then everybody will think they're fakes... :D
Haha yeah I don't think I'd want to drop a few hundred dollars only to make them look fake
Really the only way most of them were designed for that sort of adjustment was through different size t-shocks; what sizes were you using? I was using 25. Maybe if I used 15 on the side in question that could help

Also, some frames are better for bigger heads, some for smaller. Which frames gave you trouble?
I only owned x squared and Juliet at the time and both seemed to put slight pressure, only enough to make it uncomfortable

There's also the flex couplers - they were designed to give flex but would make a pair fit loose when they wore out. A pair in the need of a tuneup would put less pressure, if otherwise acceptable...
Thanks for that

We're the shorter stems of the X-Squared better or worse in that regard @ausoakley ? Honesty it's been that long since I owned a pair but I think the Juliet was somewhat tolerable and it was more the x squared causing pain and discomfort

If those are more problematic, then maybe an R1 or XX on the brink of needing a tune up with the lowest numbered t-shox, as Kronin suggests.

I think the x squared is as big as I can go for such a small head/face. Thanks for the input

Trim the t-shox - kinda hollow them out a little- to allow the arms to pivot out a little more at the front of the t-shox.
That will create more space at the back of the stem where it grips the head.

Last edited:
No idea if they fit you or not but you could try a set a Penny's with the spring hinges I find they have a bit of "give" in them and don't have the same really firm pressure of the Juliet's.

That and as mentioned above shave down the T-shox a little would probably work too

All X Metals are bendable especially the ear stems. You can adjust them to what ever works best on you (to a limit of course).
Same goes for the rattling lens issues in some Juliets. Just give them a squeeze around the orbitals.

Back