• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ice Or Violet Iridium ?

Violet looks way better from the outside, in my opinion. It's got both purple and blue elements, and just pops. Ice is blue, but rather plain looking. Looking out from the inside, Ice has a normal grey tint. Violet on the other hand looks different colors. If you look through the center, there is a bronze tint, but if you look out of the top half or extremities of the lens, it's more bluish. Actually, this can be quite distracting...but they look so good from the outside, that I always go for Violet.

Ice is available in almost every frame available. Violet is a bit harder to come by, but is still readily available. Just go browse the Oakley catalog and see what appeals to you.

Thanks for the informative post. Just went to collect my MotoGP Deviations today when i spotted the IH Eyepatch 2 and i must say, the Violet iridium looked really cool.

From what i gathered and as you correctly said as well , Violet really shines out from Ice and looks damn cool, definitely eye catching material.

Ice is pretty good looking as well, no doubt about that . Has a nice classy feel to it & also has an advantage of probably blending well with any attire , any occasion etc. With Violets , hmmm, I am probably not that sure it could be deemed fit for using it everyday even though it does have the bluish tint to it as well .

Looks like i'll probably end up buying out both in the future , haha :D

Both Ice and Violet will be effective for strong sunlight so either will suffice for that purpose, however the appeal to look at visually for me is Violet, one of my top 5 favourite lenses and apart from the 1st & 2nd gen Frogskins and the few ladies pairs I have almost all of them with the better examples being Eyepatch 2 - Polished Black, Juliet I.H., Fuel Cell - Polished Clear, all 3rd gen Frogskins especially Purple Clear Fade, both PSJ, and Primitive, BMX Chrome Radar & Jawbone, Julian Wilson Holbrook, and the Riddle - Polished Black is just insumangen!! (had to invent a new word to describe this pair!). Seldom will you see another manufacturer produce something comparable to the vibrant colour of Violet with it's rich deep mirror effect and often the model and frame will compliment the lens well. I wonder if Oakley will ever make a polarized version?
Ice has been produced much more widely and looks remarkable on certain pairs, for example the Montoya Splice, Scar - Electric Blue, Oil Rig II - Matte Clear, Batwolf - Polished Clear, Jury - Distressed Silver, and X Metals like XX, Penny, Juliet, and X Squared. Ice would be deemed more subtle with wider customer appeal, would suit more people and is less likely to attract the onlookers attention.

I have never tried of a pair of glasses with Ice iridium. I have a pair of violet iridium Batwolf and the color looks awsome from the out side. The problem with violet is the contrast is a hazy yellowish color. I don't like that color, because their is a lot of polution in the bay area and that tint makes it look worse. I would pick ice if I had a choice.

Violet looks way better from the outside, in my opinion. It's got both purple and blue elements, and just pops. Ice is blue, but rather plain looking. Looking out from the inside, Ice has a normal grey tint. Violet on the other hand looks different colors. If you look through the center, there is a bronze tint, but if you look out of the top half or extremities of the lens, it's more bluish. Actually, this can be quite distracting...but they look so good from the outside, that I always go for Violet.

Ice is available in almost every frame available. Violet is a bit harder to come by, but is still readily available. Just go browse the Oakley catalog and see what appeals to you.

Well said. Im from Hayward isn't it glorious that there are so many Oakley stores in the bay area.

Both Ice and Violet will be effective for strong sunlight so either will suffice for that purpose, however the appeal to look at visually for me is Violet, one of my top 5 favourite lenses and apart from the 1st & 2nd gen Frogskins and the few ladies pairs I have almost all of them with the better examples being Eyepatch 2 - Polished Black, Juliet I.H., Fuel Cell - Polished Clear, all 3rd gen Frogskins especially Purple Clear Fade, both PSJ, and Primitive, BMX Chrome Radar & Jawbone, Julian Wilson Holbrook, and the Riddle - Polished Black is just insumangen!! (had to invent a new word to describe this pair!). Seldom will you see another manufacturer produce something comparable to the vibrant colour of Violet with it's rich deep mirror effect and often the model and frame will compliment the lens well. I wonder if Oakley will ever make a polarized version?
Ice has been produced much more widely and looks remarkable on certain pairs, for example the Montoya Splice, Scar - Electric Blue, Oil Rig II - Matte Clear, Batwolf - Polished Clear, Jury - Distressed Silver, and X Metals like XX, Penny, Juliet, and X Squared. Ice would be deemed more subtle with wider customer appeal, would suit more people and is less likely to attract the onlookers attention.

Thanks for the informative post ! Ice would totally rock in Oilrig and as the per the pics seen here , looks superb with the X-squared and Juliet's. I'll am thinking about the Ice Oilrig's (custom) as a future purchase and giving a thought about the Violet Eyepatch 2. Eyepatch 2 is available here but its the Oilrig's which are really getting my attention atm.