• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

IH Rubbers or any other color you may want!

Nucchem

If you are not falling, you are not learning.
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Dublin, Ca
So I got tired of waiting for someone to let go of those hard to find IH rubbers. So I went to MOPIKO to buy a couple sets of white. Here is what I did, I am sure this will work with any color you choose.
This was only experimental and will know more later.
One set of white OEM nose bombs from Mopiko.
RIT Purple Dye from Amazon.
150 ml's of water heated to 100 C
stir bar in to make stirring constant (you can just manually stir at home)
a little bit of salt
about 2 caps of dye into the heated water
nose bombs in
stirring
after 1 hour at 100 C I upped it to 200 C for one hour
Took the nose bombs out
rinsed with water
then soaked in vinegar for 15 minutes
washed with soap and water
BANG!

IMG_8492.JPG
IMG_8493.JPG

Next I will do the full set. Since I need a Mars nose bomb for my military project (not OEM but everything else will be) I will do the LG nose bombs at the same time as the tshoxs and the ear socks.
Larger vessel and all of the dye. This will assure that all parts are the same shade.
I would think you could go custom with all sorts of colors and stay OEM.

They look sort of blue in the photo, but they are defiantly purple.
Mopiko is where I got my white OEM.
Thanks Mopiko!!

Rit 2492 DyeMore Advanced Liquid Dye for Polyester, Acrylic, Acetate, Nylon and More

So I got tired of waiting for someone to let go of those hard to find IH rubbers. So I went to MOPIKO to buy a couple sets of white. Here is what I did, I am sure this will work with any color you choose.
a little bit of salt
nose bombs in
stirring
Took the nose bombs out
rinsed with water
BANG!

View attachment 475999 View attachment 476000

Next I will do the full set. Since I need a Mars nose bomb for my military project (not OEM but everything else will be) I will do the LG nose bombs at the same time as the tshoxs and the ear socks.
Larger vessel and all of the dye. This will assure that all parts are the same shade.

Thanks Mopiko!!

Nice bro. Are you actually going to use them or is it for display only? I'm interested to see how it holds up to wear over time

Nice bro. Are you actually going to use them or is it for display only? I'm interested to see how it holds up to wear over time
Its for a military friend over seas, making him some IH craters, he will probably use them. No idea how it will hold up. I got the idea from a guy who dyed his scuba mask. He said 5 years later no problems, so....we shall see.

a little bit of salt
nose bombs in
stirring
Took the nose bombs out
rinsed with water
BANG!

View attachment 475999 View attachment 476000

Thanks Mopiko!!

Isn't the boiling point of water 100C, how did you get it to 200C or 376F? I don't think you can achieve that temperature without it being under pressure.

Cool job my friend!! To bad white is just as expensive as purple rubbers lol
Plus those won't work on Mars lmsl!!

Isn't the boiling point of water 100C, how did you get it to 200C or 376F? I don't think you can achieve that temperature without it being under pressure.
Yes boiling point is 100 C. My bad, I was meaning my hot plate setting, not water temp. But yes, the water temp was not at boiling at the 100 C setting and had to increase the setting to 200 C probably due to the salt that I added. Thank you for clarifying!

Cool job my friend!! To bad white is just as expensive as purple rubbers lol
Plus those won't work on Mars lmsl!!
They do work on Mars, not the nose bombs, but the tshox and the ear socks do. I have to get the nose bombs from LG. My buddy is a die hard Oakley head and so I want to stay OEM as much as possible, he will know the ear socks and tshox are OEM from looking at them, the nose bomb, maybe not. I used the Juliet nose pad for a test to see how the purple would take. Yes expensive but small in comparison to the entire build!

Well I found plenty of white rubber kits and ZERO IH kits, so I improvised. I am running out of time for this "IH Crater" I am building for a friends military kid, its a gift for his duties performed.