• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Import duties fee

Ok guys need some help with this. Sold a member a pair of x-squared they are in Asia and have arrived in country and I got an email saying import duties are owed? I have never shipped an had this happen, I had to declare the full value for what I insured them a post office wouldn’t let me declare less than that.
Is it on me or the buyer to pay this, would it be ok to ask the buyer to pay half? I have sold 1-2 to members of EU and never got asked to pay extra.

A lot has to do with where it’s going and what carrier you choose. I’ve shipped to Canada plenty of times and the one instance where I used ups, the buyer got hit with the import fees. I offered to cover half because I felt bad he had this unexpected charge out of nowhere. AFAIK, there are no charges like that when using USPS as I’ve never heard of anyone being hit with them and I ship stuff all the time.

@Inkkoonce were there import fees on the hammer?

Ultimately it depends on the country of the buyer, the value of the shipment and the level of desire the destination country has to collect the import duties.

Switzerland, for instance, is very vigilant when it comes to collecting import duties. Any shipment over 65 CHF (about $65) gets charged VAT and a processing fee of 16 CHF and 3% of the value of the shipment. The Swiss will always collect import duties on the declared value of the shipment or, if they suspect the item has not been correctly valued they will open the item and request documentation to prove the value of the item.

I just had a parcel from the US (not Oakley related) where they didn't agree with the valuation from the sender and so I had to send them the order and payment details to get them to release the item.

Back