• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Import duties fee

brewc

Oakley Expert
276 of Virginia
Ok guys need some help with this. Sold a member a pair of x-squared they are in Asia and have arrived in country and I got an email saying import duties are owed? I have never shipped an had this happen, I had to declare the full value for what I insured them a post office wouldn’t let me declare less than that.
Is it on me or the buyer to pay this, would it be ok to ask the buyer to pay half? I have sold 1-2 to members of EU and never got asked to pay extra.

Usually it would be the recipient who gets this notice in order for them to be handed their parcel. So it is up to them to pay for it. Strange though that they informed you.
Many European countries do charge import taxes. In those cases I am assuming the buyer just payed for it. No need to inform the sender.

Well on the declaration form I had to put my email, I didn’t have his. I took a pic and sent him a copy in our DM here and awaiting to hear from them.

I would say the onus is on the buyer. I would never expect the seller/sender to contribute towards this - I know the risks and costs involved and factor this in when making a purchase decision.

If you are happy to split the fees with him, it is a very fair outcome but the buyer should consider himself fortunate....

Last edited:
I'm in Switzerland and buy loads of things from other countries. It is always on the buyer to pay. When the item is shipped with DHL or the like they generally make the recipient pay before delivery. Occasionally they send you a bill in the post afterwards (very common in Switzerland)

25% plus 15 dollar fee in Norway for anything over $100 that’s a gift and 25% and fee for everything else. The buyer always pays. Never the sender. Make sure that email wasn’t a fake. Scammers everywhere man.

Looks legitimate

IMG_4195.jpeg

IMG_4196.jpeg

25% plus 15 dollar fee in Norway for anything over $100 that’s a gift and 25% and fee for everything else. The buyer always pays. Never the sender. Make sure that email wasn’t a fake. Scammers everywhere man.
I’m so naïve of this. Did you have to pay anything for the package I sent?

OUCH + their math is wrong 8% is 48.81$
I bought from WaveCloud and got stung with taxes and import, I paid him so he must of paid them.

Back