• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Insurance

I agree, I have never bought extra insurance but as of right now I'm waiting for a xsquared that was sent two weeks ago and tracking hasn't moved past sort facility for two weeks and my local post office doesn't know what's up with it. Luckily my shipper bought added insurance. I will be adding insurance from now on.

Yea I usually don't add insurance if it's not requested. Good thing I did there.

Because it's the shipper's responsibility to make sure the package gets there safely.
I dunno about that. Is it more their responsibility to pack the item well, address it properly and turn over to a shipper? UPS/ FEDEX include up to $100 in insurance and as noted Priority Mail includes $50.
I agree with nlgrav182. It is the shipper's responsibility to get the package delivered to the buyer.
I'm still not convinced.
I say you leave it up to the buyer and seller in said any situation and leave it at that. Let them figure it out as part of the deal.
I'm more inclined to agree with JDubs, especially if the item is quoted less shipping. If the price is a shipped/landed price then I would agree that it probably is the shipper's responsibility since the shipping expense is theirs to bear.
However, if the price is less shipping then insurance is definitely the purview of the buyer. Does the buyer want to bear that additional expense or roll the dice? Since shipping is their responsibility it is their decision to make.
If the item price includes shipping then the choice is mostly out of the buyer's hands. I'm of this opinion because my company specializes in ecommerce fulfillment of pet supplies for Internet brands like O.com, Petco.com, AAFES.com, Brookstone, Frontgate and many more.That's what I do when I'm not posting here...
For the record most of these folks roll the dice with the expectation that the cost of reships is less than the expense of buying insurance for everything shipped. These folks do things on a volume level and not a transactional one but we as hobbyist sellers don't ship thousands of packages a day so if one transaction out of five goes south and it was a nice pair then there could be considerable pain there.

Being in the uk, I do request anyone I deal with to send without insurance. Importing into the uk is a killer. They add on around 45% on top of what deal price is put on the customs declaration.
I have dealt with numerous people in the USA, on this forum and others and all are under the same terms, if it goes missing it's my fault for not having the insurance and declared value. I've not had any problems with any of my items and all people I have dealt with have been willing to help. I am eternally great full to these members, CarGuy and Rubyskills to name 2 who have helped me start my collection

Each situation is different. I've found, offer a insured option and offer a uninsured option. It's then up to the buyer. If they have uninsured it's their fault, if it's insured then the buyer is covered

I think insurance is an extra at the option and expense of the buyer. "Shipped F&F" should remain exclusive of insurance, IMO. When buying, I expect the seller to package and address the box properly and provide tracking (ideally).

I think insurance is an extra at the option and expense of the buyer. "Shipped F&F" should remain exclusive of insurance, IMO. When buying, I expect the seller to package and address the box properly and provide tracking (ideally).

I think thats a good idea just how we add pay pall fees we can give buyers the option to pay for insurance. I know ill say yes everytime now especially when dealing with USPS.

I never understood that insurance Bs. It's like saying "hey dude give me your stuff and I will take it to your friend. "Give me XXX dollars to do it for you and Btw Do you want to give me extra money just in case I loose it or break it before I get there"?

I mean really? Why doesn't ups have to take responsibility for breaking or loosing a package? If u give me so something to hold its law that I have to give it back to u in the same condition as received. I guess the shipping companies paid off the politicians to pass those regulations

I never understood that insurance Bs.
You mean besides being another profit center for the parcel delivery business?
. I guess the shipping companies paid off the politicians to pass those regulations
While it's true that lobbyists have more impact in our lives than we do, it's competition in this case that defines policy more than the government. If FedEx covered all claims 100% then UPS would have to and vice-versa.
When UPS raises their rates FedEx does too and by the same percentage. If we did not have the USPS to keep UPS and FedEx (more) honest we would see even higher shipping expenses.