• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jannard Collection...

I would LOVE to hear what Jim thinks about the new X Metals. I can’t imagine Lux pulling this off without input from him and a couple key players from the original X Metal production.
Its not actually “new” xmetal. Its the same r1 and juliet with the same colorway which most of us has it. If Lux want it to be super limited they should make a colorway that nobody has....like the myth colorway of copper R1....or the blue juliet....and atleast put it in the big Square Xmetal Vault with serial number to make the $14k worth it for the people that will buy the set and not just on a black carton box??

It's been a while since @jim jannard has been on the forum, but in case he comes back to check on us, I wanted to share my experience.

I've been an O fan since my first pair of Eye Jackets back in the 90's. Blood red with black iridium lenses. I was a teenager and had no money, but they were still the coolest thing ever. It grew from there, focusing mainly on sports focused models until I eventually picked up some Frogs maybe 6 years ago. As I continued in cycling from my teens until now, I was always wearing Oakley.

As I got into journalism, I'm still trying to get connected with someone from the marketing department for product reviews and had hoped to one day meet Jim, and Steve Blick and get a pair built up like Steve used to do for the pros at events.

Both have moved on from the company, but I have yet to find another brand that I trust my eyes to. I've tried and reviewed other brands (Smith, Bole, Tifosi, Rudy Project, Lazer, and others), and they are okay, but there is something about Oakleys that I trust. Maybe it was when the rep came in when I worked at FootLocker in college and did the laser-eyed Bob head showing the dead on XYZ optics versus other brands, or the lens with the BB indents.

I agree that the brand has lost its innovation in many ways since Lux has taken over. It doesn't have the same flair, even when they try to be daring. I'm not sure they will get back to it, but you never know. Maybe Jim will recreate the magic with a new brand, but either way, I'm still a fan. My wife always says whenever I have another brand come in for review, "whatever, they aren't Oakleys."

Thanks Jim!

Well... I'm finally getting around to it. In the next few months I'll be getting everything I have put in one place and museum ready. As you might imagine... I have lots of stuff, including my original drawings and sketches from as early at 1975, original ad photos, quite a lot of prototypes. But I'm sure I will have a lot of holes to fill in. I'm just not sure what they are until we unbox everything and start setting everything up. At that point, I'll make a list of things I'm looking for to see if the community can help. I'll be happy to pay or trade.

Many have emailed their support and items they have. It is just too early for me to respond since I'm not sure what is missing.

I'd be happy to check in to this forum and answer questions from time to time if there is any interest. Just set up a thread somewhere and send me the link.

My best to all...

Jim
So did you ever set it up. I think we all are dying to see the collection.

Back