• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet Lenses - Time on my hands

DylFin

Oakley Expert
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!
Hi all,
So this morning I had a bit of time on my hands and decided to carry out an experiment:
1. Lenses - Trashed Iridium blue - one with cloud type abrasion all over the lense!
2. Tools - Cape Cod metal polishing cloth!!! o_O
3. Elbow grease - lots of it!
4. It's alive - a new lense is born... Black Iridium!!! :)

lense1.jpg

lense3.jpg

View attachment 251933

Last edited:
Isn't it now just dark grey with no iridium? How clear is it when viewing through it?

Good point, I've polished all the iridium off! ☹️
In terms of how clear it is, the small scratches are now non existent, but the cloudy one remains a bit stubborn to shift. It's definitely made a big improvement so I'm going to keep buffing until I'm left with hopefully a flawless lense - or most likely a clear one!

Last edited:
Hmm, it didn't quite go to plan... I've polished too deep and it now feels like I'm looking through a waterfall!!!
Back to the drawing board, now where's my 24k lenses!
Incidentally, does anyone have a spare set of iridium blue they're looking to sell? I have a nice set of waterfall grey and blue iridium to trade!!!

Hmm, it didn't quite go to plan... I've polished too deep and it now feels like I'm looking through a waterfall!!!
Back to the drawing board, now where's my 24k lenses!
Incidentally, does anyone have a spare set of iridium blue they're looking to sell? I have a nice set of waterfall grey and blue iridium to trade!!!
Exchange Guidelines | Oakley Forum

:p

Ah okay, just another 15 useful posts to make. I'm not counting this one by the way!

Yeah, unfortunately buffing out scratches, etc, ends up hurting the optics of the lenses. Nobody's been successful repairing damaged lenses, only cutting them for another frame, if the damage is located where it can be cut off.

I did a similar experiment for different purposes, to determine how the iridium can affect the base tint:
Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance?

Congrats on the effort, though.

Thanks for the link, that really is an interesting read.
Note to self - must use the search icon more!

Back