• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Laser Engraver Recommendations

Lifted.Horns.4x4

I should Work at Oakley
I have seen people on this forum that engrave their own lenses, and I would like to start getting into that. I have done some research but found nothing. If anyone has any reccomendations on a laser engraver for lenses I would greatly appriciate it.

Last edited:
To do it the way Oakley did it you need to etch the lens first then it's iridium coated. The way they do it for the custom lens engraving that they'd do on the spot they used an impact printer if I'm remembering the name correctly. It was a machine that held the lens and a little scibe went around and basically engraved right into the lens A laser engraver doesn't exactly work well. The iridium is a mirror so you end up either blasting the iridium off or on some iridiums it doesn't do much of anything.

Trying to do an etch post production sounds like a quick way to degrade the iridium. Goodness knows the stuff jumps off fer sneezin’…:(
How about non irradiated Prizm Daily polarized or some such?

This is similar to what they were using in the hq lobby store to do custom lens etching on the spot.

Back