• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking For My First Pair Of Metal Frames

Bubba

Oakley Expert
louisville
As title says, I am looking for my first pair of metal framed Oakleys. The first pair I have tried on is the tinfoils, I have been a huge fan of Oakley for many years but have looked past the metal framed glasses. I now wish that I had at least tried on a pair or two(literally tried my first pair of metal frames two weeks ago...being the tinfoils) they fit my head very well and I like the way they looked on me. Being the Oakley fanatic I am, I almost want to start with something a it the more genuine.....just asking opinions on glasses and if you have a suggestion and would also like to contribute to the "bubba needs a pair of metal frames" foundation please let me know...haha (I know this is not a thread to post WTB, but if you have a recommendation and something to sell, pm me) I appreciate you reading and all of the input I am sure to get

If Tinfoils fit well, check out Crosshair 2.0 and Wiretaps. Both are pretty awesome in their own ways.

If Tinfoils fit well, check out Crosshair 2.0 and Wiretaps. Both are pretty awesome in their own ways.

Would these be more "genuine than tenfoils? I would like a pair of tenfoils as well but I know that the tinfoils are recent and they are of the glasses that are now made in China! Would love for my first pair of metal frames to be a bit more nostalgic if I can swing it

Please chime in with the X Metal talk...I know there a lot of huge fans on here and I honestly don't know much about them at all, give me your sunglasses wisdom :cool-20:
God, where to start. Very popular with collectors (hence a whole discussion & exchange section on the forum). Nothing else out there like them. Beautifully designed. EXTREMELY well built (this when they were all built in U.S.A....ah the good 'ol days). Quite light and comfortable (some more than others) especially considering the construction. I could go on and on..."Mad science" at it's best! Your only problem at this point in time is that they're ALL discontinued, so picking one up off flea bay is not as cheap as it used to be :(. For a good idea of what was released and how they look, styles, colorways etc. you might want to have a gander at Dann Thombs site if you're not already aware of it (www.o-review.com) where you'll find listed, well...almost everything as well as X-metals. Bit of a metal head myself so bear in mind I am biased ;).

As title says, I am looking for my first pair of metal framed Oakleys. The first pair I have tried on is the tinfoils, I have been a huge fan of Oakley for many years but have looked past the metal framed glasses. I now wish that I had at least tried on a pair or two(literally tried my first pair of metal frames two weeks ago...being the tinfoils) they fit my head very well and I like the way they looked on me. Being the Oakley fanatic I am, I almost want to start with something a it the more genuine.....just asking opinions on glasses and if you have a suggestion and would also like to contribute to the "bubba needs a pair of metal frames" foundation please let me know...haha (I know this is not a thread to post WTB, but if you have a recommendation and something to sell, pm me) I appreciate you reading and all of the input I am sure to get
I'm curious - what are your go to O Matter frames? That might help us suggest something that may suit your overall style that falls under the metal umbrella. Oh and yup xmetals are pretty darn cool!

I'm curious - what are your go to O Matter frames? That might help us suggest something that may suit your overall style that falls under the metal umbrella. Oh and yup xmetals are pretty darn cool!
Yup, good call. That could help us narrow it down a bit.

There are a LOT of pairs in Oakley's catalog with metal frames. O-luminum is a thicker frame style made of aluminum. C5 is the current go-to for metal frames. They've used a mixture of other metals for the bulk of their wire frames.

In my opinion the best of the metal stuff is the titanium wire frames. I've owned most of the X Metal pairs and I found them heavy, unconforming, expensive, and none really lived up to the hype for me. Damn they look cool though. I have a titanium framed Crosshair and I wear it a lot. It's light, has good flex, good coverage, overall a great wire frame pair.

But as I said, there's a huge range of metal framed glasses. Magnesium is another with a few badass pairs. The classic 90's letter wires (A-, C-, E-, T-Wires) are also a great place to start. And some more modern pairs in similar styles like the Whisker, Blender, and a bunch more. There's also the big Inmate, it's smaller version the Felon, the more aggressive Warden, the shield Probation, original Crosshair and Crosshair S. Newer aviators like the Deviation, Plaintiff, Plaintiff Squared. Half wires. The funky Jordan collaboration OO wire series. Nanowires. Why frames.

I'm sure I've missed some. Or really, a lot.

Latest Posts

Back