• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Neat little Hack for dealing with R1 aftermarket gasket issue

Yo Flawch!

Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NJ, USA
I wanted to share a neat little trick I figured out, for any R1 owners who are dealing with aftermarket rubber kits. OEM rubbers are firmer, which really helps when trying to secure the nose bridge. Many of the aftermarket rubber gaskets are more squishy, and deform badly outside the edges of the frame.

I bet you could deal with this in other ways, but here is what I came up with. Take an old gift card or credit card, and transform it into a tool. cut a notch in the card, and round off the back end, so there are no sharp edges. You might have to try a few times, but you will eventually find a notch that will hold the gasket in place AND prevent it from pancaking out beyond the frame while tightening the nose bridge screws. The size that worked perfect for my R1 was 10mm deep by 4 or 4.5mm wide, which was my 2nd attempt (first attempt was too large of a notch).

IMG_3808.JPG
IMG_3809.JPG

Another fix is to buy an OEM R1 Rubber kit from a trusted member like @docrusty.

Let me know if anyone is able to use this hack, and feel free to post pics!

Aftermarket orbital gaskets do suck.the trick I use is to tightly grip around the gasket with your fingers when twisting that screw in. sometimes ill use a toothpick to manipulate the excess rubber sticking out and push it back in.

I knew there were other methods... the toothpick sounds like a good, safe tool for the job, especially the kind that have a flat and rounded end.