• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need help to create some custom Oakley Zero

amajo

I should Work at Oakley
Köln Germany
Hello Oakley community.

My name is András from Cologne, Germany.

I've been thrilled with Oakley since the early '90s, but recently I've started building a very small collection of my 90's favorites. Some of this i bought back in the days some i recently picked up from private collections for a reasonable price!

P1010542.JPG

Frogskins 1st Gen Matte Black / Violet Iridium (My first one after finishing school. still in great condition).
M Frame 1st Gen Fingerprint / Hybrid Red Iridium (My second one when going to university 1992.
In great condition)
Moon Matte Black / Black Iridium (Unused with original box, papers and 2nd set of nose bombs). Picked up this year.
Racing Jacket 2nd Gen Jet Black / Gold Iridium (New with m frame vault). Picked up this year.
Sub Zero #2 Fingerprint / Black Iridium (Picked up this year).
Sub Zero #4 Planet X / Blue Iridium (Picked up on a local flea market in great condition!)
Sub Zero #6 Planet X / Red Iridium (My third one from back in the days. I've used it very often since then...but looked very careful after them and they are still very presentable).

I'm still looking for a Sub Zero #3, a Zero 0.3, a Zero 0.5 (black) and a Mars Crator.
Than i'm done...maybe someday!!!

My main focus is on the Sub Zero and Zero line, because I respect them in terms of design, weight, functionality and comfort. It is pure pleasure to wear them..for me and for the spectators;).

Unfortunately, it is getting harder and harder to get these affordable in good condition...as you all know!:(

Since I still could not get a Zero 0.3 or 0.5, I would like to try to make this myself as a custom.

I already have some M frame and Sub Zero frame parts and old scratched complete glasses.

Now I need your concentrated knowledge, experience, tips and contact:

1. How do I separate the Zero / Sub Zero / M frame frame from the glasses without destroying the frame?

2. Which lenses are suitable for cutting Zero lenses?

3. Who can cut some for me?

4. How and with what can I glue / connect the custom lenses with the old frame parts to keep it good?

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find so much on my topic, as I have not been here for so long.

So i will be very happy about your numerous feedback and I will try to post progress and news here.

In advance many thanks for your interest and support !!!!!

I would never attempt to remove the lenses from older Zeros like that. With the nature of the older O matter they likely wont survive.

Hello Oakley community.

My name is András from Cologne, Germany.

I've been thrilled with Oakley since the early '90s, but recently I've started building a very small collection of my 90's favorites. Some of this i bought back in the days some i recently picked up from private collections for a reasonable price!

View attachment 426708

Frogskins 1st Gen Matte Black / Violet Iridium (My first one after finishing school. still in great condition).
M Frame 1st Gen Fingerprint / Hybrid Red Iridium (My second one when going to university 1992.
In great condition)
Moon Matte Black / Black Iridium (Unused with original box, papers and 2nd set of nose bombs). Picked up this year.
Racing Jacket 2nd Gen Jet Black / Gold Iridium (New with m frame vault). Picked up this year.
Sub Zero #2 Fingerprint / Black Iridium (Picked up this year).
Sub Zero #4 Planet X / Blue Iridium (Picked up on a local flea market in great condition!)
Sub Zero #6 Planet X / Red Iridium (My third one from back in the days. I've used it very often since then...but looked very careful after them and they are still very presentable).

I'm still looking for a Sub Zero #3, a Zero 0.3, a Zero 0.5 (black) and a Mars Crator.
Than i'm done...maybe someday!!!

My main focus is on the Sub Zero and Zero line, because I respect them in terms of design, weight, functionality and comfort. It is pure pleasure to wear them..for me and for the spectators;).

Unfortunately, it is getting harder and harder to get these affordable in good condition...as you all know!:(

Since I still could not get a Zero 0.3 or 0.5, I would like to try to make this myself as a custom.

I already have some M frame and Sub Zero frame parts and old scratched complete glasses.

Now I need your concentrated knowledge, experience, tips and contact:

1. How do I separate the Zero / Sub Zero / M frame frame from the glasses without destroying the frame?

2. Which lenses are suitable for cutting Zero lenses?

3. Who can cut some for me?

4. How and with what can I glue / connect the custom lenses with the old frame parts to keep it good?

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find so much on my topic, as I have not been here for so long.

So i will be very happy about your numerous feedback and I will try to post progress and news here.

In advance many thanks for your interest and support !!!!!

I'll attempt to answer based on my own ideas concerning the same purpose of wanting to make some custom pieces.

1. How do I separate the Zero / Sub Zero / M frame frame from the glasses without destroying the frame? I wouldn't take existing original pieces apart that are not already broken or in need a major repair as mentioned above. I would try to see if I could get new pieces made via 3D printer using the old frame parts as models. This way if you screw up the attachment or gluing you have options and likely a longer lasting product if you plan to do more than place on display.

2. Which lenses are suitable for cutting Zero lenses? I asked the same question a couple years ago of someone who had successfully cut a subzero lens and made a custom piece. The most they offered was they used a goggle lens to meet the size and curves of the original sub zeros, but didn't specify which model at the time.

3. Who can cut some for me? I don't recall anyone who has posted a successful attempt publicly in a couple years. Perhaps Chris Hardaway can, he has access to an actual lens cutting machine and if he had an original lens to model as the guide that is probably your best and fastest bet.

4. How and with what can I glue / connect the custom lenses with the old frame parts to keep it good? If you go the custom material route, best to research what glues work with that stuff. If you elect original frame pieces, try searching the forums for frame repair, etc rather than custom build or cuts if you haven't already. I know its been mentioned a couple times within threads, but don't recall devoted topics to it, I could be wrong. The DIY/Modding sub forum would be best place to start if you haven't already done it.

Latest Posts

Back