• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need info about this type of hinge

DanielWP

Oakley Enthusiast
Indonesia
I tried to search and found very little info here and there about this type of hinge on frogskin. Could anyone give me info on this?
20180313_115511_HDR.jpg
20180313_115446.jpg

The SKU seems ok
20180313_121723.jpg

But it's very different than my other frogs:
20180313_120248.jpg
20180313_120256.jpg

I was told this it is 4th gen?
Please help...
Thanks...

Both are legit so no concerns there. The top pair is a gen 4 yes. Second pair is a gen 3.. generation 4 frogskins have the cam like hinge which when opening and closing act like they have a spring. It just gives the frog a little more of a premium type feel. Generation 3 is the style we frog enthusiasts have grown to love. From 2007 to about 2016 that frame lasted.. gen 2 and 1 go back much further.. every new frogskin released now will be a gen 4. Even OCP has gone that way and they offer a special tool to install the stems. Lol. I don't understand why that tool.is nessesary because I have no trouble with removal and replacement of the stems like gen 3..

Hope this helps..

Brian

Hey, I just got a pair of what I think are gen 4. The shape seems very slightly different to me as well. The top seems slightly less arched and the bottom slightly wider.

But what surprised me the most is that mine say "USA MADE" on the right arm. I was under the impression they were all Chinese now. Can anyone confirm they still make some in the USA and print it like that (rather than "Made in USA")?

Also, can anyone confirm that the gen 3 lenses fit in gen 4? Because I bought them hoping to swap my black iridium polarised in from my old pair and I don't want to smudge these new ones up to find I can't fit my old ones anyway.

Hey, I just got a pair of what I think are gen 4. The shape seems very slightly different to me as well. The top seems slightly less arched and the bottom slightly wider.

But what surprised me the most is that mine say "USA MADE" on the right arm. I was under the impression they were all Chinese now. Can anyone confirm they still make some in the USA and print it like that (rather than "Made in USA")?

Also, can anyone confirm that the gen 3 lenses fit in gen 4? Because I bought them hoping to swap my black iridium polarised in from my old pair and I don't want to smudge these new ones up to find I can't fit my old ones anyway.
They are starting to be assembled in the USA. That's basically it.. so some gen 4 frames say either made in USA or assembled in the USA. I have only seen the assembled so far..

Ah very nice, thanks trump I guess? :D

And yeah, but these are the first of four Frogskins I've had that aren't unwearably lopsided lol.

Well I gave the lens swap a go...

Doesn't work as I feared - they're 1 or 2 mm too tall. Guess I'm stuck with non-polarised purple lenses for a while then cause I ain't paying £85 for the polarised black replacements.

The 4th gen polished black prizm and matte tort tungsten prizm both have the ‘USA Made’. I was wondering about the customs.

Are you sure they (Custom Frogs) are all with the 4th gen parts /hinged now on any color for custom? I would think they’d try to get rid of leftover 3rd gen first ... but could be wrong.

@SoulFulFrog

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back