• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Not Quite Recent, But........

NMOne

Oakley Enthusiast
Somewhere cold
I don't know if three weeks ago would qualify as recent, but since I've been on vacation I've finally had the time to sit down and take some pictures of my new (to me) Carbon/Ice Juliets. A little story to go with them though. Two weeks after my son was born, my wife asked what I wanted for a new dad present. She knew I had been wanting to get a pair of Juliets for some time, but wanted me to wait and try some on before committing to a purchase. The nearest Oakley Vault is about an hour away from us in Park City, Ut. After confirming with the Vault that they had Juliets (never been to one, so I didn't know what they carried), we saddled up the crib midget and headed out to Park City. When we got there, the place was empty, but only one person paid any attention to us (the only two guys in the store couldn't be bothered to move out from behind the counter and just stared at us). So Erica gladly opened the X-Metal case for us and I tried on a pair of Juliets, happy as hell that they fit and looked good. Sad to say (not for my wallet) but the X-Squared wasn't a good fit on me and I don't see myself owning any. Erica spent the next hour going over various things with my wife and I, including demonstrating for my wife how strong the lenses are by beating on a demo Juliet Fire lens with a rubber mallet and walking outside with me with various pairs to try on in direct sunlight. After it was all said and done, I went home with an OCP pair of Carbon/Ice Iridium Juliets. It cost a bit more than I was expecting, but sometimes it's not the money spent that makes the purchase but the experience of it. And this was a very positive experience for me and my wife. So, without further ado, the pics:

Sitting pretty on my recently acquired SI Camo bag with coin (story behind that)

1002744q.jpg

1002752.jpg

On me (I know I need to smile, but I was exhausted)

gedv0012.jpg

And the new 3D Juliet coin with skull on the flip side (my wife thought it was a Bart Simpson coin)

gedv0001.jpg

After I made it home with the sunglasses, I noticed that they came in a basic black OCP box with extra nosebombs and t-shox with the warranty information and a black microbag, but no coin. I wrote a glowing purchase review on Oakley's Facebook page and just inquired about the coin. It didn't break my heart that I didn't get one as I have plans to acquire a couple more pairs of Juliets and those would most likely come with the coin. Someone at Oakley contacted me directly and informed me that Custom X-Metal builds do not generally come with a coin as those are reserved for the factory builds, but the store director of the Park City Vault was impressed enough by my review that she opted to send me one as a thank you.

Overall I'm very happy with the Juliets. The Carbon frame does smear a bit if I don't pay attention, but that's easily remedied by a quick cleaning. I have plans for an X-Metal/Ruby pair for Christmas and then maybe a custom X-Metal/+Red pair down the line from there (if I don't get cut off :wink: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I like a good story, its nice to hear when everything works out well. And you see they even sent you something good too......Nice frame choice...Looks good...

My wife loves to take trips to the vaults with me.... Its kinda like an outing on a weekend.

good pickup. i recommend a polished frame, along with your future X-metal frame. Polished will go well with emerald lenses and will compliment your set better than another x-metal/red lens

I have to be honest - I was not a fan of the polished frame. There were two pre-built ones there: one with polarized blue Iridium and one with the Emerald Green. When I walked outside with those pairs, I got helluva lot of glare from the frame into my eyes and off the lens. The glare overpowered the Emerald lens and I saw a ton of reflections on the inside of the polarized blue lens, which made my head hurt. Plus the polished frame looks very bling and that's just not me. To each their own though, and I plan to have several more pairs of Juliets in the future.

I have to be honest - I was not a fan of the polished frame. There were two pre-built ones there: one with polarized blue Iridium and one with the Emerald Green. When I walked outside with those pairs, I got helluva lot of glare from the frame into my eyes and off the lens. The glare overpowered the Emerald lens and I saw a ton of reflections on the inside of the polarized blue lens, which made my head hurt. Plus the polished frame looks very bling and that's just not me. To each their own though, and I plan to have several more pairs of Juliets in the future.

aw shame, but they have hammerstems though! ahha. maybe try going with a lower transmission lens.. although, that said i have fire polarised in mine and there are no problems :/

welcome to the addiction!

aw shame, but they have hammerstems though! ahha. maybe try going with a lower transmission lens.. although, that said i have fire polarised in mine and there are no problems :/

welcome to the addiction!

I did love the feel of the hammerstems. They felt grippy, but not a pressured grip like my Carbon frame has.

And my new addiction is XMM's fault. Back when I showed up I asked about the size of the Juliets relative to the Whisker. He posted up comparison pics and I was sold from there. It's all on you man!!!! :cool:

nice story and congrats on the purchase! thats the only thing i don't like with the carbon frames is that they smudge easy, good thing they're also easy to wipe-off, other than that, its an awesome frame choice!