• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Collection Sale Issue - What do you think?

robertwills

Oakley Beginner
This person has an Oakley collection. Original cost of everything was $10K. He needs to sell it because he's moving overseas. He says that he will take $2K for it. Another person hears about this and knows someone who would buy it, even at a higher price. He send an email to the buyer and says "The entire collection can be had for $3K. You pay the seller $2K and me $1K as a finder's fee. You agree that my fee is not to change if the deal is to go through".

The buyer emails back "Yes I agree to that but it depends on my actually seeing the collection and determining the quality. Please put me in touch with the seller".

Buyer sees the collection and makes a deal with the seller for $1500.00. The person who put the deal together asks for his fee and the buyer says "We didn't have an agreement. I don't owe you anything".

Do you think the buyer is wrong and in fact owes the person who put the deal together?

Last edited:
I am not in favour of finders fee. You either elect to help someone without charge or don't bother trying to help anyone at all.

I am grateful to those who tip me - for items for sale that I may be interested in. I know those - that I have tipped are appreciative.

This person has an Oakley collection. Original cost of everything was $10K. He needs to sell it because he's moving overseas. He says that he will take $2K for it. Another person hears about this and knows someone who would buy it, even at a higher price. He send an email to the buyer and says "The entire collection can be had for $3K. You pay the seller $2K and me $1K as a finder's fee. You agree that my fee is not to change if the deal is to go through".

The buyer emails back "Yes I agree to that but it depends on my actually seeing the collection and determining the quality. Please put me in touch with the seller".

Buyer sees the collection and makes a deal with the seller for $1500.00. The person who put the deal together asks for his fee and the buyer says "We didn't have an agreement. I don't owe you anything".

Do you think the buyer is wrong and in fact owes the person who put the deal together?
Nope. If the collection was worth more than what the person was selling it for, you should have bought it yourself... You could have sold off what you did not want and kept the rest for your collection.

Finders fees are dumb.
Yep. If you want to make money off of other people selling their stuff get in to real estate. This place is for collectors who are lucky enough to have found one another and because of the senior members that help the newbies along we are able to get pieces in to our collection that are meaningful to each of us. No disrespect if you wanna make a buck. However, there is The Bay, offerup, mercari, CList etc.

Not making a judgement about the ethics of charging a 50% finder's fee. My comment is re: the agreement per se.

Yes. I would say that if they had an agreement, then morally, the buyer should have given a finders fee to the middleman. Personally, I people should try to honour their word as much as possible as much as if it had been a signed agreement.

However legally, he isn't under any obligation because even in a court of law, it would turn into a "he said/she said" scenario.

So then, the whole thing boils down to the buyer's character, and if he feels that his word is worth <$1000.

Latest Posts

Back