• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
We review the Kato, Kato X, and Encoder to break down all the differences!

The Oakley Kato line is one of the latest sport performance frames to hit the market. Alongside the Kato, you’ll find the Kato X and Encoder Sunglasses as well. But what’s the difference?

Keep reading as we review each frame and compare the Oakley Kato, Kato X, and Encoder sunglasses to show you exactly the differences!

Oakley-Kato-Sunglasses-1024x1024.jpg
Patrick Mahomes wearing the Oakley Kato Sunglasses

Oakley Kato

Oakley-Kato-Super-Bowl-Edition-1024x577.png
Oakley Kato Sunglasses – Photo: Oakley

The Oakley Kato’s revolutionary design instantly put it on the map. First appearing on the faces of celebrities and athletes like...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• Oakley-Kato-Sunglasses-1024x1024.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Oakley-Kato-Super-Bowl-Edition-1024x577.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 183
    103.9 KB · Views: 174
    134.8 KB · Views: 177
    134.8 KB · Views: 155
    103.9 KB · Views: 177
    134.8 KB · Views: 498
    103.9 KB · Views: 497
    103.9 KB · Views: 104
    134.8 KB · Views: 91
    141.3 KB · Views: 736
    103.9 KB · Views: 596
    103.9 KB · Views: 116
    141.3 KB · Views: 94
    103.9 KB · Views: 69
    141.3 KB · Views: 46
    103.9 KB · Views: 47
    141.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
I had the chance to review both the Kato and Encoder and here are my thoughts:

Kato: The nose beak is pretty cool, bar none. The fit on these is nice, maybe a bit big. I do like the adjustable temples to adjust the pitch of the glasses as well as the various sized nose pads. I have used these cycling and they worked phonemonal. They fit well under a helmet (and definately get some stares). Probably the only downside of the kato for me is they don’t fit under a hat very well, and they seem like a very ‘cycling-specific’ pair of glasses. I cannot really imagine other sports using these. I could see these being more popular as fashion sunglasses too with that beak, whereas the Encoder might be more specific to sports.

Encoder: These seem like a more universal sports pair (I could see these being popular in baseball, tennis, and cycling). The stems are a bit more rigid and this pair seems to be more hat compatible. These have a smaller lens (the Kato has a deeper and wider lens, think along the lines of Flak vs. Flak XLJ) but they still fit very well and have an excellent field of vision. I would say these fit really similar to a Radar EV, but have elements of the EV zero and possibly even the M-frame? I haven’t decided which pair I will keep yet, but both pairs are really nice.

View attachment 846258View attachment 846259I had the chance to review both the Kato and Encoder and here are my thoughts:

Kato: The nose beak is pretty cool, bar none. The fit on these is nice, maybe a bit big. I do like the adjustable temples to adjust the pitch of the glasses as well as the various sized nose pads. I have used these cycling and they worked phonemonal. They fit well under a helmet (and definately get some stares). Probably the only downside of the kato for me is they don’t fit under a hat very well, and they seem like a very ‘cycling-specific’ pair of glasses. I cannot really imagine other sports using these. I could see these being more popular as fashion sunglasses too with that beak, whereas the Encoder might be more specific to sports.

Encoder: These seem like a more universal sports pair (I could see these being popular in baseball, tennis, and cycling). The stems are a bit more rigid and this pair seems to be more hat compatible. These have a smaller lens (the Kato has a deeper and wider lens, think along the lines of Flak vs. Flak XLJ) but they still fit very well and have an excellent field of vision. I would say these fit really similar to a Radar EV, but have elements of the EV zero and possibly even the M-frame? I haven’t decided which pair I will keep yet, but both pairs are really nice.
Keep them both:):)

I was afraid you’d say keep em both 😀! Yours does have more iridium- that is noticeable in the nose beak, yours is more yellow and mine is more red. I’m not complaining though I purposely bought these for mid-light conditions!

I was afraid you’d say keep em both 😀! Yours does have more iridium- that is noticeable in the nose beak, yours is more yellow and mine is more red. I’m not complaining though I purposely bought these for mid-light conditions!
Norway is all about the mid-light conditions:)

I decided to keep the Kato. I like the oversized lens design for bicycling. I might re-look at the Encoder when they come out with more colors (would love to see a prizm dark golf or prizm road black pair).

Awesome. I’m waiting on the Gold Encoder to get released here in Europe before I pull the trigger:)
They are both sweet frames just minor differences. one big difference between these 2 frames and other glasses is they use a different lens manufacturing process and as @qtrain23 has also referenced, there is literally no distortion. I didn’t realize this until I put on a radar yesterday, took it off, then put my Katos back on and they were so much clearer!

They are both sweet frames just minor differences. one big difference between these 2 frames and other glasses is they use a different lens manufacturing process and as @qtrain23 has also referenced, there is literally no distortion. I didn’t realize this until I put on a radar yesterday, took it off, then put my Katos back on and they were so much clearer!
Until you try them you don’t know what your missing. People complain about no innovation and here we have both innovation in the lenses and a disruptive design that would make JJ proud. 👍🏻😊 The Katos are absolutely a technical marvel. Finally, a sunglass that wraps all the way around.

Back