• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Polarized Violet Iridium Lenses - need input (seem blueish and not purple) sent back multiple times

Strife21

Oakley Beginner
So I had a pair of custom mainlinks with violet polarized iridium lenses that I had done at the oakley vault. The lenses looked very purple. I sadly lost these a few weeks ago so went on oakley.com and made a new custom pair with violet polarized lenses. However when I got them the lenses looked like they had blue in them and much less purple.

I sent them back explaining that they must have put the wrong lenses on and then sent me out a replacement pair of glasses. Once again the lenses looked like they had blue in them and not the same as I had remembered previously.

Finally I sent those back and made a pair with deep water prizms instead and then bought a pair of violet polarized iridium replacement lenses from oakley as well. Thinking maybe there was coding mixup in their system. But once again the same thing they have a blueish tint to them and are not purple like the pictures on the website look like. Did they change something or am I going crazy.

I dont know whether to keep complaining or if these are actually what they are supposed to look like.

I have attached some pics.

The first are a picture of my old glasses and the 2nd two pics what the lenses I have been getting look like. The final pics are pictures of the replacement lens i bought the other day.

Any input or pictures of your recent violet lenses would be appreciated.

Violet Polarized.jpg

What I got1.jpg

What I got2.jpg

replacement lens2.jpg

replacement lens3.jpg

replacement lens.jpg

Last edited:
Its likely your previous VIP lenses were from a different lens batch than the current pairs you've picked up. The iridium coating is achieved through a process of mixing various dyes to get said color, each batch will haves some variations when compared to another batch. Some are more pronounced than others, it's kind of like baking; if you follow the recipe you'll get the final product, but that end product might not always come out exactly the same.

There isn't much you do about it, aside from trying to pick up a different set from an earlier production date period (maybe call warranty department and see if they have some very early production VIP replacement lenses) with hopes they're more purple like your old pair. If you do find a seller with them, stock up on a few sets so you'll have spares if the need for a new set ever arises. I previously had Holbrook VIP lenses which I assumed were sapphire (HERE) due to them appearing much more like sapphire's blue center fading to purple edges, rather than the purple dominant I was use to seeing in VIP.

This is very informative. Thank you. I just couldn't fathom they messed this up that many times so this makes muchh more sense.

Try a set of Sapphire, they come out more Purpley with a flatter base curve.

I have Sapphire and Violet for my Flak 2.0 and HJ2.0.

Sapphire has a purple center with blue on the edges and Violet has a blue center with purple on the edges. It’s about the curvature and pigmentations in the batches like @BoostBear said.

Along with curve many of the lens color are heavily influenced by the color of the frame in some model frames than others it seems. Jawbreakers loud retina burn and some others colors and the original radar when they did they Tour De France colors are prime examples.

I remember those lenses @BoostBear haha

But your answer has been covered. I had a pair of VIP Holbrook lenses that were as purple as it gets. Then I had a set that was blurple haha

Same thing goes for ruby. Why else would people refer to them st times as frubie.

Latest Posts

Back