• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OEM Lens Deterioration?

David_Oakley

I should Work at Oakley
Houston, TX
Ok, I am not an expert (not even close) on OEM lenses. I have heard that OEM lenses can and will deteriorate after years of storage even if they have never been used.

Case in point, I have the OEM lenses for my R1s tucked away in the foam pouch holders in my display cabinet. I was always under the impression that they would be preserved and secure. If I never use them, are there some adverse effects over time I can expect?

Secondly, I have a lot of unworn pairs being displayed. Will those lenses in the frames deteriorate over time just by displaying indefinitely?

Thanks

David

There are countless examples of the anti-reflective coating peeling, but the culprit has always been sweat and oils.

A few examples of the polarization layer detaching, which has been labeled a manufacturer's defect and warranty replaced.

Long term display has had some examples of fading, but that has applied to frames instead of lenses. And direct sunlight.

The only verified example I can recall of unused lenses deteriorating in storage is with Eyeframesman, who sold all those Mars. Most of those were just fine but some ended up having "foggy" lenses. Note the last run of pairs she sold had no lenses...

However, those lenses may have spent an unknown amount of time stored in a non-temperature controlled environment, which might have contributed to that.

In general, I think you have very little to worry about, unless your display case sits in direct sunlight for hours each day...

There are countless examples of the anti-reflective coating peeling, but the culprit has always been sweat and oils.

A few examples of the polarization layer detaching, which has been labeled a manufacturer's defect and warranty replaced.

Long term display has had some examples of fading, but that has applied to frames instead of lenses. And direct sunlight.

The only verified example I can recall of unused lenses deteriorating in storage is with Eyeframesman, who sold all those Mars. Most of those were just fine but some ended up having "foggy" lenses. Note the last run of pairs she sold had no lenses...

However, those lenses may have spent an unknown amount of time stored in a non-temperature controlled environment, which might have contributed to that.

In general, I think you have very little to worry about, unless your display case sits in direct sunlight for hours each day...
Adding to this, people don't always remember to clean their "new" lenses after taking them out of the foam to check them over. That little bit of skin oil and whatever else you had on your fingers at the time can start to deteriorate the surface of the lens while you have it in storage. I usually wipe down my lenses with a quick spray of the Oakley cleaning solution even if all I've done is verify the color/model they are for and put them back. You can never be too careful with lenses, especially for long discontinued models.

Adding to this, people don't always remember to clean their "new" lenses after taking them out of the foam to check them over. That little bit of skin oil and whatever else you had on your fingers at the time can start to deteriorate the surface of the lens while you have it in storage. I usually wipe down my lenses with a quick spray of the Oakley cleaning solution even if all I've done is verify the color/model they are for and put them back. You can never be too careful with lenses, especially for long discontinued models.

ok that's a very good point. So I should buy the Oakley nanoclear solution and apply it. Then in the future handle the lenses (if I need to) while wearing gloves.

Would that suffice?

ok that's a very good point. So I should buy the Oakley nanoclear solution and apply it. Then in the future handle the lenses (if I need to) while wearing gloves.

Would that suffice?
I use nanoclear on just about every pair I have. Makes a big difference helping keep them clean and making them easier to clean.

I've used gloves before when cleaning lenses and they do help but if you are careful with a microbag or cleaning cloth you can hold the lenses without fingering them up.

Would that suffice?

I have an anti Mold chip (the one that comes with leather goods) and dessica? pouches in my towers and storage containers. I spray down my frames after use with the cleaning solution and dry them out before storing. I do know that a lot of peeling lenses I have seen are not only due to sweat and oils but to moisture in general.

Latest Posts

Back