• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Optics Planet-Oakley Discontinues MadMan and It Is Unavailable.

I think if you're heading out right now to buy sealed pairs of either or both of these models as investments you're foolish. Buy them because they're priced right (now, at least) and you like wearing them (or you just like them). I can think of easier ways to double your money on a $150 investment over 20 years.
That being said I may grab another pair or two to complete the set, already wear the ones I have and would do the same with any new purchases.

I think if you're heading out right now to buy sealed pairs of either or both of these models as investments you're foolish. Buy them because they're priced right (now, at least) and you like wearing them (or you just like them). I can think of easier ways to double your money on a $150 investment over 20 years.
That being said I may grab another pair or two to complete the set, already wear the ones I have and would do the same with any new purchases.

EXACTLY! Madman or anything else, if you're looking to make an investment there are many other things that provide better and/or more reliable returns than collectibles.

I would be pissed if I was one of the Madman Pioneers, paying close to $450 for shades that get discontinued so soon. I guess that's what you get when you choose one really different design (although it did work with the OTT and X-Metals)

I never bought a single Oakley item based on the perception that it was an investment. I bought it because I liked it, it was unique and the fact that others didn't see it that way doesn't change that for me. The Medusa bombed I suppose if we follow that logic. It was expensive, it wasn't a top seller and it was too radical for most. I could care less what I paid and whether other people like them or not doesn't phase me.

I never bought a single Oakley item based on the perception that it was an investment. I bought it because I liked it, it was unique and the fact that others didn't see it that way doesn't change that for me. The Medusa bombed I suppose if we follow that logic. It was expensive, it wasn't a top seller and it was too radical for most. I could care less what I paid and whether other people like them or not doesn't phase me.
I totally get what you are saying, I like the the medusa as well, but being a student I never had the cash to buy it. I don't recall the medusa ever having a discount like the madman did a few months back (50% off), so I'm not saying buying madmans was a bad idea (in fact I like then, even if people look at you weirdly) and if I'm honest, I've never selled an Oakley I've purchased, I buy then cause I like them, they are all keepers. What I was saying is that I'd be really angry to be one of the first guys buying it just to find out that a couple of years later I can get it for half price. That's a kick on the gut if you ask me, I'd still love them, but I would hate Oakley (or Lux) for making me pay that much money on them
Btw your medusa profile pic is freaking awesome!

I bought a pair of Madman at the SummerNationals NHRA event in June. By November a friend picked the same pair up after a peel and reveal sale for 50% off. I know exactly where you're coming from. Fortunately we all have only one pair. Frank has three so that's not my issue.

I got a pair of the Pewter-BIP sealed with the case and paperwork for $139. I don't feel bad about that, but I'm hoping I can get the Plasma-Fire Iridium for less before this is over. I bought them to wear occasionally. I would wear them daily, but I'm not sure that they could withstand daily wear. Maybe they have strengthened the hinges by now, but who knows? I really want those Plasma-Fires, and You can get them now for $169. I'm betting that they go lower, and I'll be pi**ed if they sell out in the high $160+ zone. I do think that they are the coolest looking.
I'm thinking about getting a pair of wild blue Revants since Oakley isn't helping us out. I was surprised that I was able to get a spare pair of Unobtanium EarSocks on Oakley's Website. I would buy spare NoseBombs, but the available spares are in Hungary of all places. I REALLY like the looks of the whitish-milky bridge on those Plasma-Fires. I wish that Oakley would at least put some different colored bridges out for us, but, I'm sure that they're completely washing their hands of them. Probably the Chinese will be selling custom parts after they steal the molds, which they probably already have.

Last edited:
I know I'm a minority here, i got my madman and badman equiv almost to $300 a couple of months after its release, it would be nice to have it at a price half of that but the sheer joy of getting it in its debut release, brand new, no worries of it being counterfeit is worth it IMHO. Like watching a movie, nothing like watching it in theater, way better than at home, in maybe in copied file, after reading all the plot, review, opinion and spoilers in the interwebs.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

If you're happy, that's all that matters. I actually bought some earsocks for my Badman a few weeks ago because I somehow lost an earsock.

Latest Posts

Back