• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OTT Lens orientation

Just cut a custom set [...]
His lenses had the bump on the lower, nasal (inner) side... [...]
In my OTTs, the lenses were installed with the small bump on the lens facing the upper, outer (ear) side of the orbital, lined up with the second-to-last decorative hole molded into the outside of the orbital. Oddly enough, there is no notch in the orbitals themselves for the lens bump to fit into. Makes me think that the lenses and frames must have changed during the course of the OTT's availability.

Last edited:
In my OTTs, the lenses were installed with the small bump on the lens facing the upper, outer (ear) side of the orbital, lined up with the second-to-last decorative hole molded into the outside of the orbital. Oddly enough, there is no notch in the orbitals themselves for the lens bump to fit into. Makes me think that the lenses and frames must have changed during the course of the OTT's availability.
I thought the lack of dip in Ott frame orbital was weird as well. Makes me wonder if the lenses were custom cuts already (blk Irid) that I'm replacing with Violet. However it may still add tension to keep from rotation. I did measure there was base in prism, which meant orientation was correct ( at least for cuts).

I have 6 pairs of OEM replacement OTT lenses. They all have the bump. Haven't had the balls to pull mine out of the frame to check for a divot in the lens groove though.
I was apprehensive about removing the lenses from my OTT until I spent a few days earlier this week installing and removing lenses from Frogskins. I must have changed Frogskins lenses about a hundred times, and, after that, I looked at the OTT and thought "how hard could that be?" (famous last words). The lenses came out of the OTT just as easily as they did out of Frogskins.

I thought the lack of dip in Ott frame orbital was weird as well. Makes me wonder if the lenses were custom cuts already (blk Irid) that I'm replacing with Violet. However it may still add tension to keep from rotation. I did measure there was base in prism, which meant orientation was correct ( at least for cuts).
The lenses are elliptical, so it should not be possible for them to rotate. Perhaps there is enough variation in the dimensions of the orbitals across different frames that Oakley designed the bump to prevent the lenses from rattling due to loose fit.
I wonder whether any version of the OTT frame had notches in the orbitals to match the bumps on the lenses?

Last edited:
If you wind up with a small flat spot try rotating the lens a tiny bit to hide the flat spot.

Latest Posts

Back