• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A Cautionary Tale...... How Good Fakes Are Today!

GRFMotorsports

is an Oakley whore
Premium Member
Nixa, Mo
Let me start by saying even a seasoned collector can get duped once and a while.

I have been watching a pair of Collectors SubZeros online for a while. The seller had multiple pairs and at first glance looked legit. My original thought was maybe some leftover parts from HQ with an unreleased lens paired together. I was still skeptical but after multiple sales and no neg feedback I thought what the heck. I pulled the trigger. I knew I wouldnt know for sure until I had them in my hands. eBay buyer protection, paid with a CC so LETS GO!

I knew as I opened the box I had been taken. Cheap flimsy case, cloth etc. The seller had them listed as used but these were clearly new. In the pictures the real one is always on top.

1.jpg

The color on the fake lens looks great in person. Notice the groove in the lens is cut differently, the nose piece is different and the width is smaller.

2.jpg

The text on the arm is a different font, slightly. Rubber put on backwards however with current Oakley QC this is possible on any pair.

3.jpg

Lenses are glued in on the fakes with glue visible.

4.jpg

The overall pattern is very close but a little bigger than OEM. The frame finish is also glossier.

5.jpg

Sloppy work on the logo but seen this from OEM as well.

6.jpg

The seller has not be cooperative and after digging a little further every pair he has listed is a fake. Based on his feedback he has already suckered a few others that dont know any better. eBay is making me return them for a refund and the counterfeit side is handles by a different department.

Be careful out there folks...

BTW here is the seller.

ready2drip

I bought a fake SubZero on aliexpress. for about $25. I actually wanted to use it to have a Custom Zero made for me at Wavecloud. The arms were easy to dismantle. Well, that's probably settled.
But for $25 I now have a fake case that fits my original Subzero. And replacement earsocks that are no longer available as originals. That's why it suits me.

Back