• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Paint Removal

fretburner79

O-Educator
I have a pair that were painted before I received them. What's the best way to remove it?

It's a Splice that had flat black painted over top of the FMJ

Last edited:
Acetone could do the trick, but as others have said the Doc would know best...
DO NOT use acetone! It eats plastic, O-Matter included. Thinner, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits will all degrade the plastic as well. They may not do it instantly, but it will make the frame brittle in the long run. I use Super Clean (100%, non-diluted). Let the glasses sit for a few hours to a few days (depending on the type of paint you're removing) then scrub with a soft brush. Works well and will not damage the plastic.

DO NOT use acetone! It eats plastic, O-Matter included. Thinner, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits will all degrade the plastic as well. They may not do it instantly, but it will make the frame brittle in the long run. I use Super Clean (100%, non-diluted). Let the glasses sit for a few hours to a few days (depending on the type of paint you're removing) then scrub with a soft brush. Works well and will not damage the plastic.

Any idea whether or not this method will remove the original FMJ layer below?

Latest Posts

Back