• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny Spring Hinges

andr3

Oakley Expert
Hamburg
Anybody have experience in dis- and re-assembling Penny ear stems? I want to avoid parts popping out of the spring hinge that I would have trouble putting in again.

I'm sure other people have other methods of doing it but I might be able try to explain it. If you don't need to take them apart then don't take them apart and put a drop of oil in there and cycle the arm back-and-forth,you can use a small drill bit as a slave pin to hold it all together then push the screw in and turn and the drill will fall out. Just remember your using the backside of the drill not the cutting pointed side. It's always worked for me.

I'm sure other people have other methods of doing it but I might be able try to explain it. If you don't need to take them apart then don't take them apart and put a drop of oil in there and cycle the arm back-and-forth,you can use a small drill bit as a slave pin to hold it all together then push the screw in and turn and the drill will fall out. Just remember your using the backside of the drill not the cutting pointed side. It's always worked for me.

Thanks for the advice, @THE X-MAN. That's a good idea with the drill bit. I would imagine that works.
However, I might need the hinges completely free of anything sticking out. So are there any parts that can pop out, which are hard to get back in? I suppose there's a compressed spiral spring inside the frame with a cam on top of it pushing against the ear stem (at least that's the way I would have designed it). That should be possible to get back in, right?
I guess the hardest part to re-insert would be the washers. It's cumbersome enough on a Juliet as it is. A Penny frame can't be spread and additionally the spring is pushing the ear-stem-washer-stack out.

When you feel the screw just about all the way out just keep a little bit tension on everything and nothing should go flying. The washer's have a cup to them that are pressed into the arm so there is no lineup issue.everything gets a dab of oil when reassembling.

Latest Posts

Back