• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Please share your experience with multifocal contact lenses

I do wear them from time to time, when I play tennis, do watersports or wear sunglasses other then my x metal xx with prescription lens. It won't work if you have astigmatism, not as good as multifocal glasses especially in low light conditions.
Thanks for sharing.

Btw, this is what I am using, better then Acuvue imo.

4f5022cd-8e2b-4b4c-b757-e684ec6cf569.jpg

fc3ad92c-74d1-4578-a289-88d2bc1b65d4.jpg

I wear them daily and do the right eye sees distance and left eye is for reading so,e docs do. I love it and adapted quite quickly. I am hoping to be able to do this for years as I hate wearing anything but sunglasses…

I’m -3.50 with a +1.5 in one eye and -3.00 with a +1.00 in the other.

I wear them daily and do the right eye sees distance and left eye is for reading so,e docs do. I love it and adapted quite quickly. I am hoping to be able to do this for years as I hate wearing anything but sunglasses…

Thanks, that’s exactly what was explained to me. One eye for near one eye for far.

Last edited:
I don't wear contacts or have vision correction glasses, but I did have cataract surgery probably 8ish years ago as side effect of cancer treatments from my mid 20's (I'm 40 now). The lenses they put in my eyes are multifocal. left eye is focused for computer monitor distance, right eye is for long distance. it was a bit odd the first month or two. after that it's been great. distance is focused as far as I can see. the only time I have to use cheater glasses is for small screws at work or reading really small print. even though the left eye is for close range you can't focus on stuff that is too close. you actually see small print better when you hold it an arms length away instead of up to your face. when I do use cheater glasses I pop the left lens out so just the far distance eye gets magnified for up close.

I also do this. I use monthly lenses (that I can remain in situ for 30 days straight ie night and day) with dominant eye corrected for far vision and non dominant eye corrected for reading (I drop the suggested power by -1.00 in the non dominant eye and it’s enough to be able to read all but the smallest print. I keep the recommended power for the dominant eye). I would normally have to use +1.5-2 readers.

I’m super blind -8.5 and -9.5!!

Of course, it is a compromise, but still way better than having to use reading glasses.

The night/day lenses also means you can still see as soon as you wake up in the morning and don’t need to waste time/money with cleaning solutions. They are also pretty cost effective and you can “tweak” the power to get the best of both worlds (near and far vision).

I also do this. I use monthly lenses (that I can remain in situ for 30 days straight ie night and day) with dominant eye corrected for far vision and non dominant eye corrected for reading (I drop the suggested power by -1.00 in the non dominant eye and it’s enough to be able to read all but the smallest print. I keep the recommended power for the dominant eye). I would normally have to use +1.5-2 readers.

I’m super blind -8.5 and -9.5!!

Of course, it is a compromise, but still way better than having to use reading glasses.

The night/day lenses also means you can still see as soon as you wake up in the morning and don’t need to waste time/money with cleaning solutions. They are also pretty cost effective and you can “tweak” the power to get the best of both worlds (near and far vision).
Do you wake up feeling like your eyes are glazed over with a primordial crust? That’s what it feels like if I take a 15 minute nap in my contacts (just regular ole contacts you take out at night).

Do you wake up feeling like your eyes are glazed over with a primordial crust? That’s what it feels like if I take a 15 minute nap in my contacts (just regular ole contacts you take out at night).
I believe I could sleep in mine all night, but I don’t do it. I will take a nap with them in, but only about an hour, tops.

I believe I could sleep in mine all night, but I don’t do it. I will take a nap with them in, but only about an hour, tops.
No. These particular contact lenses (Air Optix Night and Day) are slightly more expensive per day than 30 day lenses (that must be removed each night), but well worth it in my opinion (cost is $0.70/day). I've not had any problems with them at all. You put them in on Day 1 and remove on Day 30. I can sleep and shower with them in situ. They are designed to allow the cornea to breathe and are more permeable to oxygen than normal lenses.

They are extremely comfortable and I haven't had any dry eye issues. The only time I have problems is if I leave them in longer than the 30 day recommended time. Then my eyes may feel a little "gritty". If that happens, I simply remove and use normal glasses for a couple of days to give my eyes a "break" (but I suspect I don't even need to do that). I've noticed no neovascularization (that occurs if the cornea is chronically deprived of oxygen). I've been using such contact lenses for the last 10 years+.

No. These particular contact lenses (Air Optix Night and Day) are slightly more expensive per day than 30 day lenses (that must be removed each night), but well worth it in my opinion (cost is $0.70/day). I've not had any problems with them at all. You put them in on Day 1 and remove on Day 30. I can sleep and shower with them in situ. They are designed to allow the cornea to breathe and are more permeable to oxygen than normal lenses.

They are extremely comfortable and I haven't had any dry eye issues. The only time I have problems is if I leave them in longer than the 30 day recommended time. Then my eyes may feel a little "gritty". If that happens, I simply remove and use normal glasses for a couple of days to give my eyes a "break" (but I suspect I don't even need to do that). I've noticed no neovascularization (that occurs if the cornea is chronically deprived of oxygen). I've been using such contact lenses for the last 10 years+.
Thank you for sharing.

Back