• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished Romeo?

Worthless to you huh Romeo. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Im sure I could get more than $0 for these? Custom pairs like this and any other metal are a part of just about everyone's collection nowadays. No disrespect to you or your collection, but you make yourself sound like you're too good to own something that is not original OEM.
Romeopolished2.jpg

Yes Doowutchyalike, this pair would not be up for consideration as an add to my collection, even though it looks beautiful and would appeal to copious numbers of collectors, and would command a high price I suspect. I agree that this type of glass would be part of many peoples collections as there is plenty of evidence to show custom items are sought after. I do not have a disregard for the very clever and artistic work people have put into these creations or others who wish to possess them. However, I think of 'collecting' in the broader context, records, stamps, coins, dolls, china, tea cards, war memorabilia etc, and the themes that appeal consistently are; collectors want 1) original items in as good condition as possible. 2) to have the original packaging, also in as best state as can be found. 3) emphasis on rarer examples of chosen subject. Can you imagine having a super rare Beatles LP and making your own cover for it and discarding the original? or painting a rare matchbox car different colours? or modifying a rare stamp in some way? would you paint a bigger smile on the Mona Lisa? If you were to change these products from their original state the values of the items would be hugely affected, so I question why it can be so different when collecting sunglasses. I can't think of another collecting hobby where you would paint something or make it different and the piece retain it's value. So it should be easy to understand the thinking behind me not participating in the collecting of stuff like water transfer, changed x metal frames, or m frame/radar lenses cut (destroyed?) to live a new life in another frame. If I gave the impression I am too good to have something that is not original it was not intended, I just believe original items are better hence I collect them.

I think oakleys are the exception because they are a statement about you the wearer. People want to say different things or have a certain look which I easily done with these glasses. You aren't trying to make a statement with stamps or records. The people who buy custom pieces buy them to wear, not to display. That is where your mistake lies.

If I'm doing my own, how much should I expect to pay for a frame? Are any of the finishes easier to remove?

Just bought a brand new x metal frame for 450. So in that neighborhood. Condition and box/coin also have a lot to play towards the value.

Just bought a brand new x metal frame for 450. So in that neighborhood. Condition and box/coin also have a lot to play towards the value.

Since I'm not looking for box, coin, or paperwork and scratches shouldn't matter since I'm going to strip them down anyway. With this in mind, does that mean I should be looking at something around $300?

this was a great post, but there was no answer on how to paint the R1s CHROME!!!

Holy zombie batman.

What you're calling "chrome" we call "polished". Can be done with some patience, a dremel and some jeweler's rouge. I'm not an expert but with that extra info, and your search kung-fu, you'll be all set...

maybe someone will come along create a polishing service to x-metal owners......
Zohhhmmmmbieeee... Lol not you xman, just this thread being revived in general. But the whole polishing thing would be something i wouldnt mind doing, If anyone wants to part with their metals for a little bot over a week (shipping time included) since I am pretty busy woth life, work, etc. but the only downside to polishing is being able to accept the fact that the finish that covered some, or a lot, of imperfections will now be removed and expose the blemishes. Basically some shiny holes and, hmm, ugh, divots? So, for a limited amount of time... Whomever sees this post, and wants me to polish their xmetal romeos, XS, halfX, or any other disassembled metals (i would rather not take apart your coupler, for the juliet, r2, xx, penny, & mars owners just because i know they can get damaged if the rivets are really stuck) i would do them for ...$50 that, covers, materials, labor, and return shipping. Labor of love, but I also do not want to get flooded by people wanting me to rub them for free :)

Back