• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Ruby Polarized vs. Prizm Field vs. ???

GirlDad

Oakley Beginner
I've been sporting pair of Flak 2.0 XLs with Prizm Deep Water Polarized for the last couple of years, courtesy of a birthday gift from my wife. Love them, very comfortable. Lens are really scratched though so time to replace. My daughter plays select softball and has a pair with the Field lenses. I coach and as she's a pitcher also catch for her when practicing, etc. Tried hers and like it well enough, but unsure if Field would work for all-around (driving, pool, whatever).

I actually went to the local Oakley store to buy a set of the Fields but they were out of stock. The clerk sold me on Prizm Ruby Polarized, which I went ahead an purchased. Been wearing them for a couple days and can't say that I really like them. While the greens do really "pop" they look almost unnatural; the bronze base of the lens make everything appear a bit "yellowish" to me; and I hate how the beautiful blue sky is just washed out into more of a greyish/haze. I do like that the VLT of 17% will in theory work for more weather conditions (in South Texas near Gulf so weather can change from grey/overcast to cloudless bright blue and hot sun in no time).

I'm going to return the Rubys, but wondering if anyone has worn the Field in situations other than just baseball/softball, and how they perform. Also any suggestions on alternative to Field/Ruby appreciated.

I've been sporting pair of Flak 2.0 XLs with Prizm Deep Water Polarized for the last couple of years, courtesy of a birthday gift from my wife. Love them, very comfortable. Lens are really scratched though so time to replace. My daughter plays select softball and has a pair with the Field lenses. I coach and as she's a pitcher also catch for her when practicing, etc. Tried hers and like it well enough, but unsure if Field would work for all-around (driving, pool, whatever).

I actually went to the local Oakley store to buy a set of the Fields but they were out of stock. The clerk sold me on Prizm Ruby Polarized, which I went ahead an purchased. Been wearing them for a couple days and can't say that I really like them. While the greens do really "pop" they look almost unnatural; the bronze base of the lens make everything appear a bit "yellowish" to me; and I hate how the beautiful blue sky is just washed out into more of a greyish/haze. I do like that the VLT of 17% will in theory work for more weather conditions (in South Texas near Gulf so weather can change from grey/overcast to cloudless bright blue and hot sun in no time).

I'm going to return the Rubys, but wondering if anyone has worn the Field in situations other than just baseball/softball, and how they perform. Also any suggestions on alternative to Field/Ruby appreciated.

You could ask on the For Sale thread to see if anyone has Prizm Field available or maybe check ebay. There is also Prizm Road which is also a ruby type lens. I personally love DWP for everyday use especially in the spring summer as it really makes blues and greens pop.

You could ask on the For Sale thread to see if anyone has Prizm Field available or maybe check ebay. There is also Prizm Road which is also a ruby type lens. I personally love DWP for everyday use especially in the spring summer as it really makes blues and greens pop.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I just popped the DWP back on and they look great, much more natural blues and greens. I'm wondering about the Prizm Grey Polarized. One drawback on the DWP is that they're not the best for low-light or cloudy-with-sun-barely-peeking-through conditions, which we have a lot here in this area (of course along with bright sun where the DWP really excel).

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I just popped the DWP back on and they look great, much more natural blues and greens. I'm wondering about the Prizm Grey Polarized. One drawback on the DWP is that they're not the best for low-light or cloudy-with-sun-barely-peeking-through conditions, which we have a lot here in this area (of course along with bright sun where the DWP really excel).
I haven't really tried any of the Grey lenses as I like the shiny iridium but they do have a VLT around 20% so good for both. Prizm road or Prizm Dark golf if you can find either might be good as they are both around 20% as well.

If you're into the DWP maybe search around for another set. It's dark but a really great all day lens.

Alternatively, you might want to try the Prizm Road if you like the natural look of things and want a lighter lens. It's a great all-rounder as it's relatively neutral. Also very nice for driving. Road markings pop a little more (I have a pair on permanent duty in my car).
The golf lenses are also great but they mute greens a little which can be a weird, especially when driving.

Re: Field (my subjective assessment)
I've had a solid week where I only wore Prizm Field. If you think that the Ruby is 'unnatural', the Field lens is probably not for you.

The Prizm colour manipulation on this lens is hardcore.
After wearing it for a few hours then taking them off it takes a minute to get used to the real world again.

I have a really clear memory of taking them out when walking the dog. In a grassy field, surrounded by trees, everything looked very muted. The ball I was throwing for the dog was orange, and through that lens it looked like that ball was glowing.

If you liked prizm deep water I’d just go back and get that again. I personally really like that lens too for its darkness and slight contrast. If you like prizm deep water but want something less dark prizm dark golf is great as well. Prizm field is nice too just a bit more rosy but you might prefer that too.

If you're into the DWP maybe search around for another set. It's dark but a really great all day lens.

Alternatively, you might want to try the Prizm Road if you like the natural look of things and want a lighter lens. It's a great all-rounder as it's relatively neutral. Also very nice for driving. Road markings pop a little more (I have a pair on permanent duty in my car).
The golf lenses are also great but they mute greens a little which can be a weird, especially when driving.

Re: Field (my subjective assessment)
I've had a solid week where I only wore Prizm Field. If you think that the Ruby is 'unnatural', the Field lens is probably not for you.

The Prizm colour manipulation on this lens is hardcore.
After wearing it for a few hours then taking them off it takes a minute to get used to the real world again.

I have a really clear memory of taking them out when walking the dog. In a grassy field, surrounded by trees, everything looked very muted. The ball I was throwing for the dog was orange, and through that lens it looked like that ball was glowing.
Great info/feedback, much appreciated. Yes I agree that when looking through my daughter's Field lenses it's definitely a little pinkish; nice pop but not sure I'd want to wear it all day or anywhere but actually on the field.

I'm now leaning towards the Prizm Road; wish it was polarized as that would help with the Texas sun on bright days.

Of course maybe the perfect solution is to buy the Field, DWP, and Road and just swap away! Thanks again.

If you liked prizm deep water I’d just go back and get that again. I personally really like that lens too for its darkness and slight contrast. If you like prizm deep water but want something less dark prizm dark golf is great as well. Prizm field is nice too just a bit more rosy but you might prefer that too.
Thanks, WildWires. Dark Golf was intriguing as well; Hopefully I can compare a couple in the shop tomorrow when I return the Ruby.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and comments. After using my daughter's Field lenses on the way to the Oakley store today I decided to just go with Field. Blues and greens seemed natural, and my primary use of these will be outside either coaching or practicing softball with my daughter/team. I was probably overthinking this too much when trying to come up with a perfect, all-around lens (lots of options with Oakley, but I have a great pair of polarized Costa 580Gs that I can use when driving or more social situations (but as I discovered today during my drive the Field actually seems to work fine as well).

What I did learn from all this though is that I'm not a fan of Oakley's bronze tints and will stick with rose or grey for more natural colors.

Peace and thanks again to all.

Back