• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Radarlock XL OR Jawbreaker

consequential

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

I'm going to be doing 50/50 mountain biking/road biking and would like to get a good set of sunglasses.

Could some of you please give me your opinions on exactly what specific model Jawbreaker to get including lens tint?

Also does anyone think the Radarlock XL's are better? If so, could you please recommend a specific model including lens tint?

Also, Oakley's site doesn't say but does anyone know if either of these models are coated with hydrophobic or something similar (front/back) to deal with sweat./water?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I can do a comparo with pics and things, but it will be quite hard to judge until you wear them. The Radarlock XL doesn't have as many lens options, no Prizm, not as many frame colors, etc. But if it fits you better and more securely than I'd recommend it over the Jawbreaker.

Thanks Rustpot,

I actually tried both on yesterday and the radarlock XL are a bit tight on the sides. I guess there's no way to adjust them?

But I guess for now I'm overwhelmed by so many lens and tint options that I'm just trying to find out which combination would be best for 50/50 Road/Mountain biking.

Any suggestions? I live in MN and it can be overcast or bright sun.

Thanks so much!

I can do a comparo with pics and things, but it will be quite hard to judge until you wear them. The Radarlock XL doesn't have as many lens options, no Prizm, not as many frame colors, etc. But if it fits you better and more securely than I'd recommend it over the Jawbreaker.

Thanks Rustpot,

I actually tried both on yesterday and the radarlock XL are a bit tight on the sides. I guess there's no way to adjust them?

But I guess for now I'm overwhelmed by so many lens and tint options that I'm just trying to find out which combination would be best for 50/50 Road/Mountain biking.

Any suggestions? I live in MN and it can be overcast or bright sun.

Thanks so much!

I just spoke to Oakley and they recommended I go with:

1. The Prizm Trail and purchase the Prizm Road replacement lens since they don't have the Prizm Trail replacement lens available.

2. They said not to get the polarized lens since the Prizm would be better.

3. They also said to get the cleaning kit and apply it only to the outside and not inside

Do people on here agree?

Also, any idea how these compare to the Smith Pivlock v2 Max XL?

Thanks

Last edited:
Rust is spot on (no pun intended). Only upside to the Lock XL would be the tighter hold.

The mention about cleaning is weird to me though. I find myself using less on the outside because it doesn't wipe off as quickly as the inside.

Prizm Road is very versatile imo. It probably won't read off-road textures too well, but imo you get away with lower light conditions despite it having a lower LT rating.

Rust is spot on (no pun intended). Only upside to the Lock XL would be the tighter hold.

The mention about cleaning is weird to me though. I find myself using less on the outside because it doesn't wipe off as quickly as the inside.

Prizm Road is very versatile imo. It probably won't read off-road textures too well, but imo you get away with lower light conditions despite it having a lower LT rating.

So it sounds like you'd recommend I go with the Prizm Road and save the money by not getting the Trail + Road?

The Oakley person said if I applied the nanoclear to the inside of the lens I could damage it. They said it's not recommended. But, I don't understand why because all the sweat is going to come into the inside of the lens.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I haven't looked at the Jawbreaker lenses in any detail. I have a set, but haven't worn them much.

I also don't use the nanoclear pen. Just the spray cleaner.

I never use nanoclear either and was speaking in context of the spray too. I believe nanoclear serves as the hydrophobic treatment so yeah, the you heard. advice in that particular context makes sense.

I could make a borderline essay about Prizm's worth, especially when it comes to cycling with Prizm Road. tl;dr would be it's nice but you don't need it. Even if the premium isn't dramatic like polar, there's a chance you may find it limiting.

Latest Posts

Back