• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Scam messages removed? How do we stay informed?

Wether you like it or not, mobs tend to get to the bottom of things...

I've been saying this for a long time, but my posts go unseen...

We should be able to call out members, so it at least starts a discussion...then, after the argument runs it's course, it should be up to the members to decide whether to blacklist the accused or not...

If you don't back people into a corner, they'll always think it's easy pickings to scam someone, since nobody is aware of that person's shady bullsheeeet...

@OakleyBoss the way you continuously do not protect your members is brutally alarming...people get scammed here and do whatever the hell they want because of what you DON'T allow your best and most active members to do...

it's shameful and gross...

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Agree the other instances should have been removed, on this particular instance it felt like an advisory should remain.

To be clear, there was no scam, no fraudulent activity - money was exchanged and goods were provided.

There was however incorrect & less than honorable buyer tactics being used to — ultimately to lower the price. Then, if memory serves, was also statements inferring keeping vs purely selling to flip.

Why does it matter? I don’t want to sell anything to flippers. Those folks who use this community to pad their wallet or fund their own collection charging top dollar on items they purchased from fellow collectors for decent pricing detract from the community in my view.

That thread laid bare, with data and facts - the true intention of that individual.

So — where is the correct place to help inform the community of these folks?
Do you want us to polute their sales thread bringing up these issues?
If not here (Scams section), where?

So why can't that be captured in the feedback. I'd say that wasn't a bad deal
Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Agree the other instances should have been removed, on this particular instance it felt like an advisory should remain.

To be clear, there was no scam, no fraudulent activity - money was exchanged and goods were provided.

There was however incorrect & less than honorable buyer tactics being used to — ultimately to lower the price. Then, if memory serves, was also statements inferring keeping vs purely selling to flip.

Why does it matter? I don’t want to sell anything to flippers. Those folks who use this community to pad their wallet or fund their own collection charging top dollar on items they purchased from fellow collectors for decent pricing detract from the community in my view.

That thread laid bare, with data and facts - the true intention of that individual.

So — where is the correct place to help inform the community of these folks?
Do you want us to polute their sales thread bringing up these issues?
If not here (Scams section), where?

So why can't that be left in feedback? The issue is flipping or similar tactics aren't scamming. I've talked a lot about this before but its economics. Do I agree with flipping? No. Do I think it can ever be controlled or stopped? No. If someone posts an item for $100 but its worth $150, and someone buys it for $100, the seller got exactly what they wanted. They're happy. The forum has plenty of resources to find an accurate price before selling but ultimately something is worth what someone is willing to sell it/buy it for.

So if you have a problem with that and do a deal with the person you can leave feedback, besides that I think its a personal preference to not deal with that person. But I equally don't think those people deserve to be berated in thread or banned (which solves absolutely nothing). If you tried to "ban" all those people you're just trying to control free markets. So maybe people buy cheap here and instead of reselling here, they go to ebay. I mean its economics and capitalism and I do believe you'll never win that battle.

I thought that thread was very productive. If that thread didn’t exist, the seller would have never gotten their money back. FACT
Fair point, maybe there is a need for a Deals Pending Resolution Area or something but the issue is to avoid the pitchforks which seem to quickly escalate to blasting peoples personal info etc.

So the lesson is call out people when they do wrong in the feedback section.
JOE you did wrong, again and again and again.
Oh right, has to be the feedback section no matter how many people they screw. If not in the feedback then they can go on screwing people.
Got it!👍🏼

Oh right, has to be the feedback section no matter how many people they screw. If not in the feedback then they can go on screwing people.
Got it!

If you have enough positive feedback and get a negative, the rating will still show 100% positive feedback. I pointed this out with YakuzaFloralGangster’s account. The only way you could see there is a negative is if you click on the user’s rating score which takes you to all the feedback for that user.

But yea.... use the feedback system

Wether you like it or not, mobs tend to get to the bottom of things...

I've been saying this for a long time, but my posts go unseen...

We should be able to call out members, so it at least starts a discussion...then, after the argument runs it's course, it should be up to the members to decide whether to blacklist the accused or not...

If you don't back people into a corner, they'll always think it's easy pickings to scam someone, since nobody is aware of that person's shady bullsheeeet...

@OakleyBoss the way you continuously do not protect your members is brutally alarming...people get scammed here and do whatever the hell they want because of what you DON'T allow your best and most active members to do...

it's shameful and gross...

Thats an opinion. I can take it but I do disagree. I think to some people "protecting" is banning anyone and everyone they yell at, disagree with etc. Which just wouldn't be fair to a lot of people who have done nothing wrong. I also think while a mob sometimes gets to the bottom of it, there's often a large amount of collateral damage to the person who the mob focuses on. Good people who get rung through the streets because someone was impatient, didn't respond soon enough, misread a message etc. In 10 years of this forum I am confident in saying this is literally 99 out of 100 times as I've said before. We used to allow these threads and it happened again and again as members were publicly tarred and feathered, public info exposed etc. all within hours of someone saying that member isn't responding. Only to have a person respond hours later 12 pages into being destroyed that they log on once a day, and had no idea all this was going on.

Now if we're talking legit scammers, people who steal money, who do bad deals, steal Oakleys etc. Absolutely we want to protect our members and those scammers have been and will continue to be banned as soon as we see evidence of it.

I do like the idea mentioned around potentially a resolution area to solve in-progress deals, to let the members get help, talk through it etc. Because I get these don't always fall into "scams" but people may need help.

Got it!👍🏼

But I'm struggling to understand why it wouldn't be. Let's also establish what wrong is - Wrong is stealing money, scamming people etc. That is a bad deal. But why wouldn't this be captured? Why aren't people capturing this in feedback? How do we solve this. I do believe feedback is better than threads because it follows members forever. I mean good luck finding a thread from a deal in 2012, with feedback its right there.

If you have enough positive feedback and get a negative, the rating will still show 100% positive feedback. I pointed this out with YakuzaFloralGangster’s account. The only way you could see there is a negative is if you click on the user’s rating score which takes you to all the feedback for that user.

But yea.... use the feedback system

Can look into highlighting. It's likely due to rounding as you get above 100 pieces of feedback. But I hear you on highlighting negative feedback and like that idea.

Look, I'll just say what we're thinking: you are a liar

AND, you can't backup any part of that story because there is literally no thread to prove anything you're saying because you nuke them...

If you can prove it with an active thread, I'll apologize, but until then, just know that I think you are a legitimate liar...

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm happy to take the high road. To bring this back to the point of handling feedback, rather than any personal opinions - We literally had a forum vote on how to handle feedback. Feedback system won hands down: How should Feedback be handled (Threads vs. Feedback System) - Cast your Vote!.

So while some members continually believe threads are better, while they may be loud they do not reflect what the community actually wants.

I think @OakleyBoss did a good job leaving that thread as long as he did (being against the rules) Enough people saw and OF doesn't forget! If someone F U K S me hell will break loose and it will be known.
Only people who saw it, know it exists

if it gets deleted, there is no record of anyone ever doing anything wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't trump still allowed here even after all those shenanigans? All the car forums I belong to ban for life if there are shady/scam practices.

Back