• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Serial numbers

Thanks for the info, kronin323 and lee.s.b. The set I"m inquiring about is an X Metal/Ruby set, but they're not in the first 5000. They are serial X026931. I was just more curious what gen they are as I have the lenses from them while the frames have prescription lenses in them at the moment.

Thanks for the info, kronin323 and lee.s.b. The set I"m inquiring about is an X Metal/Ruby set, but they're not in the first 5000. They are serial X026931. I was just more curious what gen they are as I have the lenses from them while the frames have prescription lenses in them at the moment.

Technically if they don't have an "A" or "B" suffix, they're considered 1st gen. But finding our the exact year that specific serial was made is too precise a query with the info available.

Hmm. So technically, I have a set of first gen Ruby lenses...

Interesting. :cool-20:

yep, but that doesn't determine the hue. hue is just like the serial number ink, it is how it is, they are made within a certain spec, if ot falls in that, pass QC and get shipped out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. So technically, I have a set of first gen Ruby lenses...

Interesting. :cool-20:

Many may refer to them like that, but it's really a misnomer; the lenses don't really work like that. The serials and gens refer to the frames, and in many cases have consistent, identifiable characteristics associated with each gen. Lenses weren't released as gens but have just evolved over time, no clear delineations.

So they are more correctly described as lenses that came with a 1st gen frame, which may or may not resemble other lenses that came with other 1st gen frames...

Very good points. Thank you for the input. At least now I know that if I do decide to get rid of those lenses, I have all pertinent information as I like to be as forthcoming as possible.

I'd also like to know, as I can't remember my purchase date, a little more about my polished Juliets. JP010005. I'm pretty sure I got them in the early early 2000s.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back