• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Si ballistic shocktube tan/grey lenses

Tyler2208

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

I am a new member here and am seeking some advice from oakley owners.

I have been going back and forth on deciding to purchace the oakley si ballistic shocktubes for quite a while now, anyway I decided to take the plunge and sourced a new pair from ebay (currently on the way).

I have purchased the terrain tan with grey lenses.

I read the description on the oakley website many times even though I am still slightly confused by some of their technical jargon.

Anyway, my questions/concerns are relating primarily to the lenses

Do these lenses scratch easliy? I have read often in online searches that oakley lenses are particularly fragile and scratch easily, however these were not “si shocktube” specific reviews.

From reading the lens description I dont think the grey lenses are polarized or iridium (but I could be wrong), are these lenses more or less prone to scratching?

Also, the (rubber?) nose pads, do they have good longevity? is it possible to still use the sunglasses if the nose pads come off or are damaged?

It appears that after some internet searches, I cant find any spares (lenses or nose pads) for sale

I dont live in the US unfortunately and I dont qualify to join the “oakley si” website, so spares or replacement parts at reasonable prices are difficult for me

So if anyone has experience with the shocktubes with regard to the lens scratch resistance ect and the longevity of the nose pads or a generic replacement for them please share...

Also if there any particular care tips you could advise me on it would be much appreciated.

These were an expensive purchase for me and I hope they are not going to be “high maintenance” sunglasses

I did try doing a forum search, but only found general reviews on the shocktubes rather than any posts discussing the issues I am concerned with

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I am a new member here and am seeking some advice from oakley owners.

I have been going back and forth on deciding to purchace the oakley si ballistic shocktubes for quite a while now, anyway I decided to take the plunge and sourced a new pair from ebay (currently on the way).

I have purchased the terrain tan with grey lenses.

I read the description on the oakley website many times even though I am still slightly confused by some of their technical jargon.

Anyway, my questions/concerns are relating primarily to the lenses

Do these lenses scratch easliy? I have read often in online searches that oakley lenses are particularly fragile and scratch easily, however these were not “si shocktube” specific reviews.

From reading the lens description I dont think the grey lenses are polarized or iridium (but I could be wrong), are these lenses more or less prone to scratching?

Also, the (rubber?) nose pads, do they have good longevity? is it possible to still use the sunglasses if the nose pads come off or are damaged?

It appears that after some internet searches, I cant find any spares (lenses or nose pads) for sale

I dont live in the US unfortunately and I dont qualify to join the “oakley si” website, so spares or replacement parts at reasonable prices are difficult for me

So if anyone has experience with the shocktubes with regard to the lens scratch resistance ect and the longevity of the nose pads or a generic replacement for them please share...

Also if there any particular care tips you could advise me on it would be much appreciated.

These were an expensive purchase for me and I hope they are not going to be “high maintenance” sunglasses

I did try doing a forum search, but only found general reviews on the shocktubes rather than any posts discussing the issues I am concerned with

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Yes....and no

Yes they scratch easily? And no the rubber nosepads dont have good longevity?

Lenses without iridium get less visible scratches. Nosepads usually last a few years depending on usage and body chemistry (some people sweat more and/or with somewhat different sweat content). Give Oakley a call regarding nose pieces they are sometimes very nice to deal with .

Lenses without iridium get less visible scratches. Nosepads usually last a few years depending on usage and body chemistry (some people sweat more and/or with somewhat different sweat content). Give Oakley a call regarding nose pieces they are sometimes very nice to deal with .
Hi, thanks for the reply, so just to clarify, the grey non iridium lenses do scratch just as easily but are just less visable than the iridium lenses?

With regard to contacting oakley, the problem is that the SI range and parts seem to only be available via the “oakley si” site which I dont qualify to join, also unfortunately I am bot based in the US which makes obtaining parts more difficult, I was only able to actually purchase the glasses via ebay, I asked the seller if they also sell parts such as spare/replacement lenses and nose pads (nosebombs?) but unfotunately they dont sell them.

I have also tried searcing ob ebay for the nose pads/nosebombs but could not find any.

I did contact oakley, however they just reffered me to their “si” site.

Do the shocktubes share the same nose pads/nosebombs with any other oakley glasses? or are the nosepads specific to the model of sunglasses?

Can the glasses be worn without the nose pads?

I am worried that when the nose pads eventually wear out and if I can not find replacements, basically a very expensive pair of sunglasses will be rendered useless.

It seems that there are limited reviews for the shocktubes when compared with other models such as the gascans, fuel cells ect and replacement lenses ect are almost non existant in comparison to other models.

Are the shocktubes partucularly unpopular or bad for some reason? Hence the lack of many reviews and replacement parts

Thanks
Hello and welcome.
hello and thank you

bitmoji-20180524114704.png

Hi, thanks for the reply, so just to clarify, the grey non iridium lenses do scratch just as easily but are just less visable than the iridium lenses?

With regard to contacting oakley, the problem is that the SI range and parts seem to only be available via the “oakley si” site which I dont qualify to join, also unfortunately I am bot based in the US which makes obtaining parts more difficult, I was only able to actually purchase the glasses via ebay, I asked the seller if they also sell parts such as spare/replacement lenses and nose pads (nosebombs?) but unfotunately they dont sell them.

I have also tried searcing ob ebay for the nose pads/nosebombs but could not find any.

I did contact oakley, however they just reffered me to their “si” site.

Do the shocktubes share the same nose pads/nosebombs with any other oakley glasses? or are the nosepads specific to the model of sunglasses?

Can the glasses be worn without the nose pads?

I am worried that when the nose pads eventually wear out and if I can not find replacements, basically a very expensive pair of sunglasses will be rendered useless.

It seems that there are limited reviews for the shocktubes when compared with other models such as the gascans, fuel cells ect and replacement lenses ect are almost non existant in comparison to other models.

Are the shocktubes partucularly unpopular or bad for some reason? Hence the lack of many reviews and replacement parts

Thanks

hello and thank you

All polycarbonate lenses can scratch, be careful with them and the lenses can last you for years. There are a couple of reviews on this forum. Check them out and see if they might answer some of your questions.

If you ask for PitBoss 2 or Twenty XX nosebombs they should fit.

SI Ballistic Shocktube Review - All style, no substance

Oakley SI Ballistic Shocktube

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back