• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Square Wire (Gen 1) Leather Wrapped

headpatrolman

Smile you son of a bitch
New Jersey, USA
I am starting to get into vintage wires and think by far one of the absolute best is the gen 1 square wire / leather wrapped gold / gold iridium. I am also a huge gold iridium fan so it's one of my grails in a wire frame.

I was curious to see if anyone here had one and how well the leather wrap holds up on these. I know they tend to fade and stain if they get worn a lot. Also what is the going rate for one of these? I saw one on ebay for 89.99 but the lenses were trashed. I know getting new lenses would be tough, so looking for one with better lenses.

Any input from someone whom already has one, would be great. Thanks

I have a perfect complete pair of Square Wire - Leather - Gold 05-552 which I wanted to have as an example of that model, and found this by far the best choice. Additionally, I also have the Straight Jacket - Leather - Gold 04-047 thus having both versions of this exceptional frame that sadly has been limited to just these two glasses. Interestingly, the black boxes for each model showed a general picture but the two Leather pairs had a specific photo of the glasses with that frame. The Square Wire retailed in the UK for £149, so the value today for a new condition pair must surely exceed £200, plus they were discontinued in January 2000 so the advent of time, thrown away boxes, trashed glasses through use, will have resulted in a very hard piece to find now. Although I have worn both minimally I have experienced no problems at all with the frame, so no staining or fading or manufacturing issues.

I have a perfect complete pair of Square Wire - Leather - Gold 05-552 which I wanted to have as an example of that model, and found this by far the best choice. Additionally, I also have the Straight Jacket - Leather - Gold 04-047 thus having both versions of this exceptional frame that sadly has been limited to just these two glasses. Interestingly, the black boxes for each model showed a general picture but the two Leather pairs had a specific photo of the glasses with that frame. The Square Wire retailed in the UK for £149, so the value today for a new condition pair must surely exceed £200, plus they were discontinued in January 2000 so the advent of time, thrown away boxes, trashed glasses through use, will have resulted in a very hard piece to find now. Although I have worn both minimally I have experienced no problems at all with the frame, so no staining or fading or manufacturing issues.

Wow great information thanks. I will keep my eyes open and maybe someday I will find a nice pair at a good price and jump on it. Glad to hear you have worn yours and experienced no problems.
Thanks for the reply. Cheers

Back