• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Square Wire thoughts?

adamsapple19

Oakley Expert
Colorado
Looking for some community feedback on the Square Wire, primarily on the fit.

This past year I've determined (after many a pair, but hardly all!) that the following lifestyle pairs provide the best fit/comfort for my face: Jupiter Squared (56-18-39), Chainlink (57-17-38), and Oil Rig. Movement on my face is minimal, regardless of how I move around - this is important to me.

I think one of the key common denominators of these pairs is the lens height, which seems to be a big factor in optimal comfort/minimal movement on my face. Lens height of about 37-40mm seems to be the sweet spot (Holbrook and Sliver just too tall unfortunately). Also I find the square or rectangular shape seems to best suit my face and oval-shaped, bald noggin :cool-20:

What draws me to the Square Wire (on paper) is the lens height, shape, and especially its base curvature. In the pics it definitely seems to wrap pretty well (something the Chainlink doesn't do and the Jupiter Squared is only slightly better at).

I worry, though, about the Square Wire specs (60-17-37). They are similar to Carbon Shift (62-16-38) which I thought would be great for me (lens height/good wrap) but the fit isn't right on the Carbon Shift (really too bad because I was looking forward to having a non-100% O-Matter pair). Does anyone find Square Wire to fit anything like Carbon Shift? Or is the fit more akin to, say, Jupiter Squared?

Unfortunately I can't try on the Square Wire to get a feel, would have to pull the online trigger. Hopefully some good feedback can be provided that'll help me determine how strongly I should consider it. Thanks in advance.

I have checked out the Tinfoils. At 58-15-37, the lens height and width seem appropriate (per above) but the bridge starts to make it get closer to the Carbon Shift. The 17 or 18mm bridge on the Jupiter Squared and Chainlink seems to work really well for me. Not fully sure if these provided measurements provide the full picture in terms of fit but they're all I have to work with not being able to try them on.

I'm really hoping the Square Wire works. If not I'll be looking out for other options.

I do still wonder if there's any thoughts on the Square Wire fit vs some of the other mentioned pairs above...

Just wanted to follow up on this .. perhaps if someone down the line is doing any research on the Square Wire (and possible fit) this could be helpful.

Pulled the trigger on these and literally couldn't be happier (OO4075-05 Matte Black/BIP). The fit (as described per above specifications) turns out to be phenomenal for me as I hoped it might. Comfortable, no movement .. and the smaller profile of the frame is very nice.

Probably be looking to pick up a 2nd pair at some point.

Bald, oval head? Definitely consider Square Wire!

20180123_104903.jpg 20180123_104918.jpg 20180123_104933.jpg

Just wanted to follow up on this .. perhaps if someone down the line is doing any research on the Square Wire (and possible fit) this could be helpful.

Pulled the trigger on these and literally couldn't be happier (OO4075-05 Matte Black/BIP). The fit (as described per above specifications) turns out to be phenomenal for me as I hoped it might. Comfortable, no movement .. and the smaller profile of the frame is very nice.

Probably be looking to pick up a 2nd pair at some point.

Bald, oval head? Definitely consider Square Wire!

View attachment 426268 View attachment 426269 View attachment 426270
Really nice frame - boring colorway, but still really nice :)

I have 2; one matte black BIP and one bronze (don't remember the Oakley name for the finish) with Ducati tungsten iridium polarized lenses. Don't know if this is an official colorway or a one off since it doesn't have any red like they usually have..

Jade I'm a fan of. I like the slight cooling blue tint (looking through).

24K ehhh.. don't especially love the "warming" view through but that's not a deal breaker. They're just a little too flashy for regular use imo. For sure it wouldn't be boring!

Idk what all is even out there in Square Wire tbh. I know there have been a few iterations since '06 (when they came out?).

Back