• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

To All Who Need To Deliver Sunglasses To USA

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
So is the message here really "package up your items in a strong cardboard box"?

Some people reacted to this post.
Username Hidden said:
I've never had problems shipping from UK to USA.

What on earth is 'drop ball certification'?

Here it is in a nutshell, Herbz:

Drop Ball Test requirements:
1. The impact test will consist of a 5/8 inch steel ball weighing approximately 0.56 ounces
2. The ball should be dropped from a height of 50 inches from the horizontal upper surface of the lens
3. The geometric center of the lens should be struck by the ball within a 5/8 inch diameter circle
4. There cannot be anything restricting the fall of the ball
5. A tube may be used to guide the ball to the lens; the ball may be dropped through a tube extending to within approximately 4 inches of the lens
Title 21of the FDA’s Code of Federal Regulations states that the lens cannot fracture on impact in order to pass the test.

A lens is considered fractured if:
1. It cracks through its entire thickness, including a laminar layer, if any, and across a complete diameter into two or more separate pieces; or
2. Any lens material visible to the naked eye becomes detached from the ocular surface (i.e., the surface of the lens that is closest to the eye when the lens is in actual use).

A failure to include the “Drop Ball” certificate with your shipment can result in a delay in your shipment by the FDA. To avoid any delays make sure the Drop Ball Test results are attached to your shipping documents.

I'm guessing that U.S. Customs does spot checks on shipments from abroad. It's likely that the majority of shipments make it through, but if your package happens to be one that gets pulled for a paperwork check, it might get sent back if the certification isn't included. So I guess shipping without the paperwork is more or less a crapshoot.

I wonder if shipments to the U.S. from Canada are checked as well.

Ah right, I see.
So, ship with some Oakley pamphlets.
;)

Username Hidden said:
Ah right, I see.
So, ship with some Oakley pamphlets.
;)
You can do what you prefere..you can also send box without stamp if tou want, nobody told you not to do it ....I did not want to create any panic alert or desease to anyone, I just wanted to share the problem I found, and give a reasonable solution...thats all.
Cheers

:rolleyes:

Back